We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vegas trip in mid-Sep. Itinerary help please!

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
78 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Vegas trip in mid-Sep. Itinerary help please!

Hi all! Could really use some help as been scratching my head for ages. I'm attending a conference in SF 10-14 Sep, and plan to travel around California for at least 2 wks. I have the following places in mind and please if you could give me some tips/advice on your experiences with them (good or bad!):

1. San Fran down town, Alcatraz etc.

2. Trip to Napa

3. Yosemite Park

4. Drive down the ocean scenic route and back

5. Fly from SF to LA

6. 2 days in LA + 2 days in Orange County (am massive fan of O.C. so that's gotta be done!)

7. Fly from LA to Vegas

8. 4 days in Vegas inc. trip to Grand Canyon

9. Fly home from Vegas!

The only thing that's worrying me is DRIVING. Am English so driving on the right side, with a left-hand wheel is a new world. But looking at my plans I think car is the way to go.

Is 4 days in Vegas enough?

Any help on the above matter is greatly appreciated! This is my 1st trip to the US so am really really thrilled!

Thanks everybody! xxxx.

NEW JERSEY
Level Contributor
1,499 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vegas trip in mid-Sep. Itinerary help please!

4 days in Vegas including a trip to the Grand Canyon seems a little short to me. I agree that the Canyon is a overnight trip. 5 hours there and back according to posters here.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,857 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vegas trip in mid-Sep. Itinerary help please!

I just did the opposite of you a few weeks ago, drove a car with steering wheel on the right but drove on the left side of the road! It came naturally to me since the steering wheel was on the 'other' side so you should be fine. However, it's the driving in cities that might prove a challenge to you. That said, if your initial driving will be to Napa and down the California coast, those wil give you good practice for the city driving.

I'm not from the LA area, but do have experience driving in large cities and it took all of my attention and abilities to survive on the freeways around LA a few times when I was there last November.

Napa and the drive down the coast of California sound wonderful, do those by all means. Four days in Vegas is plenty given the other things you have on the list are all things I highly recommend. Your itinerary sounds great!!!

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
497 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vegas trip in mid-Sep. Itinerary help please!

I've done that trip a couple of times. You don't need a car in Vegas so if you can fly from LA that will save you some money and time and you can fly to the Grand Canyon for a day tour otherwise all what you want to do in 2 weeks ...it's a bit too much.

4 days in Vegas is enough if you just use one day to fly to Grand Canyon.

I wouldn't fly from San Francisco to LA, the drive is very nice through highway 1 or highway 101.

I'd drive Sand Francisco to Yosemite and Napa Valley, then back to San Francisco to drive along the coastine to LA, from there to Orange county and San Diego if you have time and then fly from LA to Las Vegas, that drive doesn't have much to offer except seeing the desert. then from Las Vegas you can fly back home.

Have fun!

London, United...
Level Contributor
78 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vegas trip in mid-Sep. Itinerary help please!

Thank you so much guys for your replies and advice! You're absolute stars!! :-D

Think I'll spend max 3 days in Vegas itself, then off to an overnight trip to Grand Canyon, EAG. Thanks for the tip!

Gabby so you think my itinerary is ok? I think I'm trying to squeeze in too much in 2 wks, maybe I'll need to extend it a bit longer. But I'll take your advice and do the driving on the coastal highway! Thanks sweetie!

Eva is San Diego worth going to, even just for a day or 2? Keep reading mixed reviews on it even though it looks lovely on websites. And I've just been told the sitcome O.C. isn't filmed in Orange County!! Ha ha ha..... your advice rhythmes with Gabby's, will definitely try and attempt to drive on Highway 1!! xxx.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
3,030 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vegas trip in mid-Sep. Itinerary help please!

All that driving ,you are going to be exhausted ! Save the Grand Canyon for your next trip. Keep Yosemite. Your two days in LA, actually fly to the Orange County airport instead someone help me, is that John Wayne ? anyway, closer to the OC, enjoy an overnight in Laguna or Dana Point, then fly out to Vegas.

When in Vegas, don't drive anywhere, just enjoy your destination resort center strip. Make sure you see as show, Danny Gans or "O" are good choices. Pick a hotel with a fabulous pool because it should still be warm weather for swimming.

Have a great time in U.S.A.!

Greenock, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Vegas trip in mid-Sep. Itinerary help please!

I saw this on the California board but I will post it here as well:

Coming from Scotland I can say that driving on the wrong side doesn't take long to overcome, just watch which way you look when pulling out from a junction. The Grand Canyon is a long drive, you are looking at about 5 hours each way (depending how fast you drive) but I must say that the scenery is so different to the UK that I didn't really mind the drive. Yosemite is well worth a visit but LA is so sprawling that it is difficult to really appreciate it when driving, I would recommend a bus tour which will hit all the main parts (Bev Hills, Rodeo Drv, Venice Beatch etc,).

Two other places to visit by car from Vegas are Death Valley and Lake Mead. I can safely say that driving through Death Valley is an unforgettable experience and I make a point of going there by car every time I am in the US. It is truly breathtaking. On the other side of Death Valley is a lovely little town called Lone Pine which is ideal for a lunch stop after the drive. It nestles at the base of Mt Whitney, the highest peak in mainland USA and there are some great places to sit outside for lunch while you soak up the fabulous scenery. My wife and I are heading out in a couple of weeks and we always make a point of stopping there for lunch.

We have been to all the places you have mentioned and all are worth a visit with the possible exception of LA. As I said, it is so sprawling that it is like a collection of small cities joined together by congested motorways. There is no real centre to it, you have to base yourself in one of the mini cities and travel everywhere from there which can take a long time due to traffic and unfamiliar surroundings.

Anyway, hope you enjoy your trip and don't worry about the driving.......Gav

London, United...
Level Contributor
78 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vegas trip in mid-Sep. Itinerary help please!

Thanks Gav again for putting your reply here too - what a star! Will try to master my driving skills and attempt to cruise through Death Valley - looks amazing in the guide book! Cheers also for telling me about Lone Pine - am looking into it right now!

Cynda thanks 4 your advice. I might just join an excursion to the Grand Canyon and not drive there myself. You're right, might die behind the wheels from tiredness! Being English means driving anything longer than 2 hrs is considered LONG. I know, how pathetic.

So I should fly to John Wayne airport instead of LA international? Few people have recommended Laguna beach. Would I need a car in LA to drive to all the beaches?

xxx.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
3,030 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vegas trip in mid-Sep. Itinerary help please!

Yes, the John Wayne airport is a better choice by far....easier to navigate away from it and to the destination than LAX too!

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
497 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vegas trip in mid-Sep. Itinerary help please!

San Diego is worth going for a day. The Old Town area is quite nice and they have beautiful parks too. The Gaslamp District didn't seem so special. I'm a big fan of Top Gun so I really enjoyed going to the Bar where part of the movie was filmed.

Enjoy!

London, United...
Level Contributor
78 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vegas trip in mid-Sep. Itinerary help please!

Thanks Eva. Have decided I'll drive, at least for definite from LA on to O.C., Malibu etc. So will check out SD. Thanks sweetie! xxx.

Am SOOOOOOOOOO excited about my holiday now (though my mother has decided to come with me for the WHOLE trip........ help!) xxx.