We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Up vs. Down

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
517 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Up vs. Down

Does anyone else feel like being up a certain amount doesn't have the same effect as being down the same amount?

For me if I'm up 100 dollar it doesn't feel as big as being down 100 dollars.

Graz, Austria
Level Contributor
544 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Up vs. Down

lol, I clicked on this thinking you were asking about Parasol Up v's Parasol Down at Wynn!

birm
Level Contributor
3,087 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Up vs. Down

No. Gambling is not emotional for me. If it is fir you, don't gamble.

It is strictly math.

blacksburg va
Level Contributor
6,859 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Up vs. Down

$100 in vegas only has that affect when im down to my last $100 or just lost it.

whatever the amount is,its more about where I am as far as time left on my trip,and if I am facing a day of wqalking around shopping with my wife,or handing her $ to go shop whilke i keep playing like a madman. main thing is enjoying what you have and not worrying about what you lose, main thing is just having a good time,being up is gravy

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
517 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Up vs. Down

Oh sorry let me change the title. Guess I can't do that.

Edited: 18 February 2013, 16:32
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
517 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Up vs. Down

I try not to make it emotional but I'm a high school teacher so I am not making the big bucks. I just think its funny that it would take 200 dollars to make me get as emotional (excited) as losing 100 makes me just as emotional (scared).

Leeds
Level Contributor
1,079 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Up vs. Down

It's surely got to be emotional for everyone. No one likes to loose. Everyone likes to win or else what's the point. Sure people will show it to different degrees but the buzz will always be there one way or the other.

Brighton
Level Contributor
4,030 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Up vs. Down

I thought you meant going north up the Strip (towards Downtown) feels like going down. I always wrongly think of Mandalay Bay as north because it's the opposite end to Downtown.

Gambling is emotional or you wouldn't hear excited shouting when people win. I can never understand the people who pour money into slots and sit there wooden-faced. I know it's about winning but it should also be about enjoyment, even professional poker players seem to react emotionally when they win... or lose.

Yankee
Level Contributor
7,293 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Up vs. Down

Gambling is purely emotional for me. Based on the math, a logical mind would not gamble.

I'm happy to be up $100 and slightly forlorn if I get down $60.

PS, I also thought this thread was about Parasol at Wynn.

Edited: 18 February 2013, 16:56
Irvine, California
Level Contributor
33,862 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Up vs. Down

I doubt than anybody who says that they have no emotion whatsoever when gambling is telling the whole truth. Sure it's math but house edge dictates that everybody will lose over a prolonged period of time. I study strategy of every game I play in order to maximize my chances but I still play because I enjoy doing so and expect to lose, keeping losses within my budget. I enjoy it meaning there is a degree of emotion.

Maryland
Level Contributor
54 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Up vs. Down

Down always feels like too much and up never feels like enough.