We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help Me Plan Our 2nd Vegas Trip - All Details-Advice Wanted

New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
2,115 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Help Me Plan Our 2nd Vegas Trip - All Details-Advice Wanted

We went to Vegas in Nov 2011 for the first time and loved loved loved it. We are non-gamblers, extremely light drinkers and had a blast. We loved how we didn't have to drive at all and just walked or cabbed it to places and how everything was on the strip and so close to the airport. People told me not to plan our days or have any set plans, but I did, and I found that worked out really well for us and fit our style. Now I'm trying to plan our 2nd Vegas vacation which will be in either April, May or June 2013 and I would love your suggestions and advice on what we should do/see/experience/stay at this time, preferably looking for new ideas and things to experience that are similar to our first Vegas vacation.

Here is a recap of our first vacation outlining the things we loved the most:

Stayed at Harrah's, which totally worked for us, liked the room (resembled a holiday inn express room) and how close it was to get on the strip and that it was mid-strip. We are totally fine with a budget friendly hotel as long as it is mid-strip and clean, we would rather have a cheaper room in a great mid-strip location and spend the difference on activities and shows and food. One huge plus would be a Starbucks or something similar very close to the hotel room so we can pop down quickly for coffee and bagel and take it back to our room for breakfast and eat while getting ready for the day. Thinking maybe Flamingo or Mirage or Paris or Bally's or Planet Hollywood this time. What do you think? Would these be similar or step up from Harrah's in terms of the room? Pros? Cons?

Restaurants: we loved Spice Market Buffet at PH, Wolfgang Puck's Bar & Grill at MGM, Mon Ami Gabi, Serendipity and Hash House A Go Go. What restaurants in this type of price point/style should we check out this trip?

Activities: we loved shooting guns at The Gun Store, loved Scoot City Tour through Red Rock Canyon, loved going to the top of the strat, the dolphin habitat, the shark reef, the ice bar, the top of the eiffel tower, the volcano show, the bellagio fountain show, the gondola ride at Venetian, Bellagio conservatory, walking around in the Forum Shoppes, enjoyed an evening on Fremont. Any suggestions on what we should put on our must do/see list this time?

Shows: We really enjoyed Love (really liked how the stage was in the center and how there was so much going on at all times with sensory overload) and really enjoyed Peep Show (liked how it was a bit risky adult theme but still classy). Any suggestions on which shows might be similar?

So far on our must see/do list we have:

Absinthe - I think this sounds excellent and funny - we are not offended easily and I think they humor would be up our alley

Spa day for us at Aria - chose this because of the larger co-ed area, like how there is a soaking pool with a view

zipline on Fremont - never been on one and I think it looks like fun

fishing - hubby would love to go fishing in Lake Mead but only if we can find a tour operator that picks us up directly at our hotel and returns us back to our hotel at the end of the day

cirque du soleil show - but not sure which one (we loved Love but hated La Nouba in Orlando at Downtown Disney so looking for something more like Love than like La Nouba)

Open for suggestions on what you think would fit with our previous likes. Basically what I plan to do is just like our first trip, have a rough idea for tours/activities/shows and keep a list in my purse handy and split the strip up into 3 sections - lower, mid and upper. I will probably purchase or book any shows or tours in advance and then leave the rest up to chance by using my handy list from my purse with possible choices for activities/restaurants, etc.

California
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
43,181 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help Me Plan Our 2nd Vegas Trip - All Details-Advice Wanted

You pretty much have it down. You can request specific info on restaurants or shows or even hotels, but you pretty much know what kind of trip you want.

One big piece of advice: CET is adding resort fees to their hotels (most of your choices) on March 1st. But any reservations made before that date are exempt. Why pay and extra $15-$20 a night if you don't have to?

So pick some dates and make some reservations, maybe 2 or 3 of them, in the next week. Book them directly with the hotel, and then you can always cancel the reservations you don't want later. This way you will have a rate locked in WITHOUT the resort fee.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,269 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help Me Plan Our 2nd Vegas Trip - All Details-Advice Wanted

Scratch the Cirque show and add Vinnie Favorito to your list. If you think you'll like Absinthe, you will love Vinnie.

He is raunchy and pretty much roasts the audience for his entire show.

Try the lunch special at Joe's Stone Crab in the Forum Shops at Caesars. For $24.95 you get 6 oz. Filet Mignon, Huge side of Jenni's mashed potatoes, broiled tomato slice with spinach pesto and cheese on top, banana cream pie, and a bread basket. I also get bernaise sauce on the side and have never been charged extra. They do not allow substitutions. I've never been able to finish it and it makes for a great early dinner.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
891 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help Me Plan Our 2nd Vegas Trip - All Details-Advice Wanted

I only have input on the hotel aspect of your questions.

I've stayed at both Harrah's and Paris. And as you mentioned Harrah's is fine - Holiday inn-ish, however, Paris is a step above. The rooms are all decorated in a French style, though the standard blue rooms can use a bit of refresh. The overall property at Paris is much nicer IMHO than Harrah's. So if it's in your budget, go for Paris and try for a Red Room.

Lawrenceburg...
Level Contributor
1,828 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help Me Plan Our 2nd Vegas Trip - All Details-Advice Wanted

I'd skip Harrah's and the Flamingo, just due to the construction at this time. I'd look at Paris, PH or even MGM Grand. The Signature at MGM may also be an option for you, further away from the strip, but a little low key, and very easy to navigate to other places on the strip, they do have a starbucks nearby. Bally's is okay, but pretty beat up these days and very few dining options on site.

Sioux Falls, South...
Level Contributor
6,608 posts
418 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help Me Plan Our 2nd Vegas Trip - All Details-Advice Wanted

"Thinking maybe Flamingo or Mirage or Paris or Bally's or Planet Hollywood this time. What do you think? Would these be similar or step up from Harrah's in terms of the room? Pros? Cons?"

I like the location and atmosphere of Paris. If it is more than you want to spend for the time you are there, you can stay at Bally's. Since it is connected to Paris, it's like getting 2 for 1, LOL. I don't have a Bellagio/Wynn budget, so I was more than pleased with our huge, spotless, quiet north tower room at Bally's.

"Restaurants: we loved Spice Market Buffet at PH, Wolfgang Puck's Bar & Grill at MGM, Mon Ami Gabi, Serendipity and Hash House A Go Go. What restaurants in this type of price point/style should we check out this trip?"

Try Olives (Bellagio), Paris breakfast buffet, Wolfgang Puck's Postrio (Venetian), Grand Luxe Cafe (Venetian), Border Grill (Mandalay Bay).

If you like Cirque shows, don't scratch them off your list. Although I haven't seen it yet, many people on the forum recommend LeReve at Wynn. It may be a show that combines your desire for CDS and a slightly risque show. KA is different from other CDS shows, and I really enjoyed it.

Edited: 22 February 2013, 19:47
New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
2,115 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help Me Plan Our 2nd Vegas Trip - All Details-Advice Wanted

Thanks everyone this is all very helpful. Keep the suggestions coming, I really appreciate them!

San Mateo...
Level Contributor
1,697 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help Me Plan Our 2nd Vegas Trip - All Details-Advice Wanted

You might consider Monte Carlo for your hotel. It's mid-strip with easy access to Aria for your spa day and an quick tram ride (5 minutes) to Bellagio. You also have Planet Hollywood, Paris and Cosmo within a short walking distance.

I believe the rooms at Monte Carlo were updated within the past 5 years, and their food court offers a Starbucks among other fast food choices.

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
576 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help Me Plan Our 2nd Vegas Trip - All Details-Advice Wanted

Food wise.....We like Grotto at The Golden Nugget, Maggiano's (good happy hour) and Milo's at Cosmo for their $20.13 for 3 course lunch. Town Square has some nice bars with good eats; Yard House is good as is English's.

Whilst down town you could visit Neon museum, book in advance, and The Mob Museum is also worth a look.

Enjoy your holiday and happy planning

9. Re: Help Me Plan Our 2nd Vegas Trip - All Details-Advice Wanted

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 February 2014, 06:16