We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the Cosmopolitan really that bad?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
234 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Is the Cosmopolitan really that bad?

My husband and I are heading to Las Vegas in April. We always stay at either the Venetian or the Bellagio, but this time we decided to stay at the Cosmo. I got a great rate, but after reading the reviews on TA I am really worried and am considering changing. Is it really that bad? People are saying the service is awful, the hotel stinks, the rooms are very small. Yikes! Have I made a huge mistake? I also hear it is a hotel for mostly 20 year olds. Is that true? We are in our fifties, but young fifties, not old geezers! Need some advice!

Special Offer
Las Vegas to Grand Canyon Helicopter...
6,625 Reviews
from US$399.99*
US$520.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam from Las...
5,110 Reviews
from US$142.99*
US$224.90
Special Offer
Grand Canyon Skywalk Skip-the-Line...
403 Reviews
from US$529.99*
US$541.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim Helicopter and...
915 Reviews
from US$598.99*
US$650.00
Michigan
Level Contributor
7,783 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is the Cosmopolitan really that bad?

run away run away now....

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
28,335 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is the Cosmopolitan really that bad?

The Cosmo is great.

It is a weekend hot spot, that part is accurate.

austin
Level Contributor
343 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is the Cosmopolitan really that bad?

The people writing the reviews are probably mid 20s and think everything is owed to them. The room is great, but it is not a place for me. I like to stay at the Vdara personally, but the balcony is awesome

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
234 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is the Cosmopolitan really that bad?

Thanks for the message. Can you explain what you mean by the place is not for you? Is it too modern, too loud? My husband will be at a conference for a few days and I really want to sit by the pool and read for awhile, but I am hearing that the pool area is way too loud for that. Don't they also have a quiet pool area? Thanks again for your help.

Sheffield
Level Contributor
422 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is the Cosmopolitan really that bad?

We hated it - but some love it. The younger you are (not just age-wise) the more likely you will enjoy it.

The pool area is what we hated the most, that is why we are trying CP next (after previously loving the Bellagio).

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
648 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is the Cosmopolitan really that bad?

the cosmo is great. we have stayed all over the Strip and it's my favorite place by far. we've had nothing but great experiences there are are going back again next week.

yes, it's jamming with clubbers late night on Friday or Saturday, but if that's not your thing go next door and gamble :)

California
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
44,447 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is the Cosmopolitan really that bad?

One of the problems with Cosmo reviews is probably that expectations are so high, due to the build-up and the rate. We don't stay there because we don't like the atmosphere, but if I did my expectations would be realistic. I would not be expecting a 5 star experience.

"I really want to sit by the pool and read for awhile, but I am hearing that the pool area is way too loud for that."

That's not really going to happen. That is not the type of pool atmosphere Cosmo is striving for. If that is a major priority, you might consider other options.

Edited: 28 February 2013, 14:47
Dubuque, Iowa
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Is the Cosmopolitan really that bad?

I stayed at the Cosmopolitan last April. I am in my 60's and I tell people it was the best hotel room I've ever stayed in. The rooms were large and very comfortable. I've been to Vegas about 30 times and it doesn't get any better.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
745 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is the Cosmopolitan really that bad?

I disagree that you won't be able to sit at the pool and read. I did several times during the days and had no problems. Now I think it might be a different answer if it was mid summer and a weekend, In april during the day I would expect you would be fine. I am also not in their "target" market being 50ish but I enjoyed the Cosmo very much and would have no problem staying there again.

Level Contributor
281 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Is the Cosmopolitan really that bad?

We just stayed in a wraparound terrace suite a few days ago. The room was ok and the terrace w ith view was amazing!.

I will say that for the cost and how beautiful the hotel is- service is not what it should be. No turn down service and had to call housekeeping 3 times one day....which they never did come. Long wait to get through to room service and the front desk. All of the staff where very nice but some seemed to be confused! Lol.

I too was concerned about feeling out of place! I am late 20's but far from trendy... :) i never felt uncomfortable and liked the vibe of the place. There was more people above our age then below. And thr younger crowd was respectful of others. Unlike the "kids" roaming CP. Ugh.