We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any "must sees" on Rt66? Vegas to Grand Canyon

Muscatine, IA
Level Contributor
35 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Any "must sees" on Rt66? Vegas to Grand Canyon

Spending some time driving from Vegas to Grand Canyon at the end of April. Any suggestions of neat places to stop or anything we must see on the way? Are there any neat ghost towns out that direction? Any suggestions welcomed!

Special Offer
Grand Canyon Helicopter Tour with...
6,550 reviews
from US$399.99*
US$520.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim and Hoover Dam...
5,011 reviews
from US$142.99*
US$224.90
Special Offer
Grand Canyon Skywalk Skip-the-Line...
385 reviews
from US$499.99*
US$541.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim Helicopter Tour...
565 reviews
from US$369.99*
US$479.00
Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
18,101 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any "must sees" on Rt66? Vegas to Grand Canyon

Depending on your route and how much time you want to commit, you could stop at Hoover Dam and walk the bypass bridge.If you drive from Kingman to Seligman via R-66 you can see the airplane graveyard at the Kingman airport. Several DHL delivery planes there.Then see Hackberry, Grand Canyon Caverns and when you get to Seligman you could stop at the Road Kill Cafe or Delgadillos Snow Cap.Pics

https:/…

In Kingman stop at Mr D'z Diner for some nostalgia.

Between the Hoover Bypass Bridge and Kingman is the little mining town of Chloride.Just takes a few minutes to drive thru.

Coming back to Vegas. you can drive one of the best remaining parts of R-66 between Kingman and Oatman.See Cool Springs, feed the burros. Pics

Off of Hwy 95 on the way back is the ghost town of Nelson. There are tours of the mine there.

Edited: 06 March 2013, 17:38
West Jordan, Utah
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any "must sees" on Rt66? Vegas to Grand Canyon

Yes! The Plane Graveyard rules! (I used to work in the industry.)

Also, somewhere out there, there is a wildlife sanctuary. I took my kids and they loved it. "Keepers Of The Wild", I think.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
18,101 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any "must sees" on Rt66? Vegas to Grand Canyon

Here is a website with some pics of the planes.

artificialowl.net/2008/07/kingman-airport-pl…

West Jordan, Utah
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any "must sees" on Rt66? Vegas to Grand Canyon

Thanks, Dez! That website is great!

Normal people (which leaves me out) think it's creepy staying at the Hilton Vacations Club Strip near the Sahara, the Echelon and the Fontainebleau.

I think it's great!

Bridgend, United...
Level Contributor
452 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any "must sees" on Rt66? Vegas to Grand Canyon

I definately recommend the road kill cafe in Selligman we hired Harley's for a few days and rode from Vegas to the Grand Canyon stopping at Williams which was a lovely town. On the way back we stayed at Flagstaff (the observatory was worth visiting) and then a detour to Sedona which had I known how beautiful it was I would have stayed there a couple of days and then on to Kingman (wish I'd known about the airplane graveyard)

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
33,862 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Any "must sees" on Rt66? Vegas to Grand Canyon

You've had good advice here but you should also ask this on the Arizona forum, where the section of Route 66 you need to know about is actually located.

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g28924-i139-Arizon…

7. Re: Any "must sees" on Rt66? Vegas to Grand Canyon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 March 2014, 05:16