We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My first time renting a car...

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,524 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
My first time renting a car...

I'm new to the car rental business. Am I understanding correctly that we are to board a bus to the car rental facility where we will get our car? There are four of us. I'm wondering if it will be wise to leave two of our party to handle the baggage claim and take a buddy with me to the car rental place. Then, I can pick up the other two in the rental car at the arrival pick ups. I just don't want to hassle with having four large cases (if not more) on the rental car bus.

Am I over thinking things here?

Boston
Level Contributor
24,488 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My first time renting a car...

" Am I over thinking things here"

Yes

Go all together it will be Much easier.

The biggest Mistake people make is to Over Pack.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
331 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My first time renting a car...

No just all head to the rental area. Lots of room in the shuttles for people and luggage. Enjoy the trip. I got a pretty good deal through Advantage 4 days for $15 a day.

Kenosha, WI
Level Contributor
11,965 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My first time renting a car...

It will definitely be much easier to stay together. You head through either door 10 or 11 to catch the Rental Car Shuttle bus. There are signs that lead the way, and there are also people directing you to which bus to get on. If you need help with your luggage, the driver will help load and unload your luggage. Just be sure to tip the driver.

As long as you aren't renting from Fox, this will be the only shuttle you will need to take. All of the rental car companies are in the same building, with the exception of Fox. There is a second shuttle that will take you to Fox, but I highly suggest you don't bother renting from them, even if they are the cheapest. (You get what you pay for!)

Another thing to keep in mind when renting a car is that the rates fluctuate tremendously, so even after you have booked a car, keep checking the rates periodically and rebook if the rates go down.

Edited: 07 March 2013, 19:47
dallas tx
Level Contributor
377 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My first time renting a car...

Go directly to rental car sites and monitor rates. Sign up for their preferred program so you will not have to stand in line when you arrive at rental car facility. Easy experience. Als be aware, many will charge extra for multiple drivers

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,524 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My first time renting a car...

Going to be there this Saturday. I will just keep our group together. Thanks for the advice! We are renting from Dollar and I have signed up for Dollar Express so hopefully it won't be too tricky. Thanks again everyone!

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,201 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My first time renting a car...

Dollar Express allows you to by-pass the desk in the rental center. You'll get off the shuttle, walk through the car rental center and down the escalator to the left. The Dollar kiosk is right in front of you. Find your name and the corresponding parking spot number. Walk over and there's your car!

Be sure to check out the car before you leave the garage. I do a walk around to note any damage, check the tires and familiarize myself with the interior. Take your rental agreement (in the car) and give that and your driver's license to the attendant at the exit gate. Then you are on your way.

Good luck!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,524 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: My first time renting a car...

Wow. Thanks for the details. Very helpful! Sounds like it should be pretty quick and easy.

Crandon, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
3,223 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: My first time renting a car...

Not sure when the Express members are told, but know that they expect a gas receipt from within 5 miles on return. They have never kept it, but do look at it.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,524 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: My first time renting a car...

Thanks WIgambler. Will keep our receipt from fill up.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
94 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: My first time renting a car...

There are a few gas stations right up the street on Warm springs rd if you are looking for somewhere close to fill up