We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What hotel/restaurant intimidated you-now it's your favorite

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
1,139 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
What hotel/restaurant intimidated you-now it's your favorite

I was intimidated by the Cosmopolitan and now it has become a favorite. I'm also a little nervous about eating at Julian Serrano's by myself. Has anyone gone to Serrano's at Aria solo? Did you get a table or did you sit at the bar? I know some of you do not understand this post, but Vegas can be a little intimidating when you are traveling alone (although I do this 75% of the time when I visit)

New Jersey
Level Contributor
452 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What hotel/restaurant intimidated you-now it's your favorite

I travel solo all the time and wasn't intimidated until I went to Gordon Ramsay Steak the first time. But after I was seated (at a table), the staff was so amazing that I felt comfortable and I was treated as well as those tables with several people. They made me feel special and can't wait to go back in April. I never sit at tbe bar;I prefer to sit at a table. I think it's the anticipation of going somewhere that may be more upscale that makes us feel intimidated. Now I go wherever I want. People don't know if you're a millionaire or you saved for a year to go on the trip. My feeling is just go and enjoy and don't let anything or anyone intimidate you. You're better than that.

California
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
43,202 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What hotel/restaurant intimidated you-now it's your favorite

Not exactly intimidated, but certainly stand-offish (is that a word) when it came to staying at Four Seasons. In most other cities we wouldn't stay at Four Seasons, thinking it is a little too formal for us. And in Las Vegas, I really couldn't see the value. I knew that the standard FS room is basically the same floorplan as the rooms at Mandalay Bay. This isn't a bad thing, but there can be a substantial price difference between the two.

Even though I know that your choice of hotel will affect the type of experience you have, especially in Las Vegas, I just didn't realize what the experince of being a guest at Four Seasons was really like. But having stayed there a couple of times, it is now our favorite Las Vegas hotel. Not for every trip, but as an indulgence every once in a while.

Mandarin Oriental is the same way. You are allowed to enjoy the hotel and all it has to offer, but you almost feel you can't have too much fun because it might make noise and disturb others. Somewhat similar to going to the library. Quiet enjoyment, but no real fun.

birm
Level Contributor
3,087 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What hotel/restaurant intimidated you-now it's your favorite

Nothing intimidates me. Especially travel or dining.

I do understand travel can be intimidating for some, whether solo or not.

If you are ever unsure try to visit the place when it is not peak times, ask to look around, familarize yourself with the property. The internet makes this also quite easy, you can see pictures, check out menus, talk to others.

Lahaina, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What hotel/restaurant intimidated you-now it's your favorite

I do the intimidating. Fave as of late: Joe's Prime Steaks, Seafood & Stone Crab, a licensee of Joe's Miami Beach. Great food, service and one of the strongest customer loyalty programs in the biz.

5. Re: What hotel/restaurant intimidated you-now it's your favorite

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 March 2014, 05:19