We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport to Downtown?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
181 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Airport to Downtown?

When taking a cab from the airport to Downtown do you still need to tell the cabbie no tunnel.

Special Offer
Las Vegas to Grand Canyon Helicopter...
6,619 Reviews
from US$399.99*
US$520.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam from Las...
5,111 Reviews
from US$142.99*
US$224.90
Special Offer
Grand Canyon Skywalk Skip-the-Line...
403 Reviews
from US$529.99*
US$541.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim Helicopter and...
914 Reviews
from US$598.99*
US$650.00
Mount Pleasant...
Level Contributor
1,764 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport to Downtown?

I don't think so going downtown.

Seattle
Level Contributor
786 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport to Downtown?

I just take the WAX bus downtown. I make sure I tell them no tunnel and they always obey. :)

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport to Downtown?

Since you pay for both time and distance in Las Vegas cabs for some Strip hotels taking the tunnel makes sense. For ALL downtown hotels except in rush hour bumper to bumper traffic (can occur between 3-6 pm) taking the tunnel to the 15 is the more economical route.

Sheffield, UK
Level Contributor
510 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport to Downtown?

I think a cab is about $25 and the WAX is $2 each. Tunnel is not a problem when taking a cab DT

Boston
Level Contributor
24,639 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport to Downtown?

Take the tunnel downtown, he will probably try to Long haul you and go the strip route LOL.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
211 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport to Downtown?

If you take the WAX from the Airport to downtown, are you able to purchase a 24 hour pass when you board the Wax (does anybody know?) Our first day in Vegas in September, we will be checking in downtown, then heading back to the Strip for a show that night. Also, having never taken the WAX, how often does it depart the airport. Is it true it is only once an hour?

Winslow, Arizona
Level Contributor
148 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport to Downtown?

lol @ chinon

Sioux Falls, South...
Level Contributor
6,624 posts
445 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport to Downtown?

We used the WAX on our last two trips to get downtown. It was easy and cheap. The $2 fare is only for the WAX. You can print schedules for WAX and SDX busses here: www.rtcsnv.com/transit/routes-maps-schedules/ Waiting for the WAX is never an issue to me because of the $ I save. With tip, cab fare to downtown, depending on traffic and a possible long-haul situation, could exceed $30.

Don't buy a 24-hr pass until just before you need it. Ticket vending machines are at the bus stop you will go to when you want to catch the SDX to the strip. The ticket is good for 24 hrs after the purchase, so you don't want to buy it early. I recommend the SDX instead of the Deuce, because it is faster (makes fewer stops).

Mentioned in this post
The Deuce
The Deuce
1,723 Reviews
Las Vegas, NV
england
Level Contributor
111 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airport to Downtown?

Just as a matter of interest, where does the tunnel run from.

I've never noticed it on any map I've looked at.

Niagara Falls...
Level Contributor
439 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airport to Downtown?

take the WAX bus you will not have to worry about getting ripped off by a cabbie, or just take a limo

Edited: 29 March 2013, 18:19