We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving from vegas to LA

M J
North Carolina...
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
driving from vegas to LA

How is this drive? No flights available-I heard it's about 31/2 hours-Is it fairly easy or hectic? Never done this before. Thanks for any input

Special Offer
Las Vegas to Grand Canyon Helicopter...
6,625 Reviews
from US$399.99*
US$520.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam from Las...
5,112 Reviews
from US$142.99*
US$224.90
Special Offer
Grand Canyon Skywalk Skip-the-Line...
403 Reviews
from US$529.99*
US$541.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim Helicopter and...
915 Reviews
from US$598.99*
US$650.00
Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: driving from vegas to LA

3.5 hours?!?

That will get you just past Barstow.....it's more like 5 to 5.5 hours to LA depending on traffic.

Easy drive....but boring.....just make sure you have air con, and it WORKS.

Mentioned in this post
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
2. Re: driving from vegas to LA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 May 2006, 09:31
Southern California
Level Contributor
251 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: driving from vegas to LA

The drive is 5hrs on a good day.

If there is an accident (which there usually is at some point) it is 5 + hrs.

Last time it took us about 8 hrs to get home.

The drive isn't bad but very very very boring nothing to look at. Once you hit state line its not bad.

:)

Prestwick, Scotland
Level Contributor
71 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: driving from vegas to LA

Heres advice i got last year from this site when I asked about doing this drive. We followed the directions to the letter and they were excellent. We filled the tank before leaving Vegas and didn't need to refill, but you might be different. Good luck!

Approximately 210 miles from Vegas, the 15 and the 215 will split. You want to be in the right lanes to go to Los Angeles (15), instead of the left lanes to go to San Bernardino (215). You don't want to go into the City of San Bernardino.

From the 15, you take the 10 West, to the 101 North (Hollywood Freeway). That will take you close to West Hollywood -- I don't know what exit you want, that depends on your exact final destination -- probably Gower or Cahuenga exits.

Tips for the drive -- Fill your tank with petrol in Vegas on your way out of town. And grab some soda/ice water at the gas station. The drive is mostly empty desert. From Vegas, the last civilization is Primm, about 40 miles out. After Primm, there is nothing for 50 miles, until Baker. So this might be your first ladies' room stop and time to restock the cold drinks. If you forgot to fill the gas tank before you left Vegas, do it here.

You don't want to buy gas in Baker -- very high prices. There are some decent restaurants in Baker -- Mad Greek and Bun Boy, both of which have clean bathrooms. You can stock up on more cold drinks in Baker, because after Baker, you have another long desert drive, all the way to Barstow. Gas prices are still high in Barstow, but not as bad as Baker. Lots of fast food, restrooms, and cold drinks. And an outlet mall (Lenwood exit, at the far end of Barstow). From Barstow to L.A., there are no more long stretches of desolation.

Once you reach Victorville (maybe 20 minutes beyond Barstow), gas prices are back to normal. I refill my tank in Hesperia, at the Route 395 exit -- the Pilot Truck Stop has decent gas prices, and very easy-on easy-off in both directions. This is 200 miles from the Strip, and 70 miles from downtown L.A. (roughly from where you will be getting on the 101 freeway from the 10).

Mentioned in this post
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Primm
Primm
Nevada
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,265 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: driving from vegas to LA

You can do the drive in 3 1/2 hours......depending on a number of factors and what part of L.A. you're driving to. If you're driving to LAX or Santa Monica, then it can easily take you another 30-60 min.! The main thing, of course, is the traffic. Another factor is what day of the week and what time of day you're leaving Vegas. Sundays are usually the worst. But if everything is going your way, and you drive fast, you can do it in 3 1/2 hours.

Carson City, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,903 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: driving from vegas to LA

On a good day..early with no traffic snarls...Hubby makes it from Burbank to Vegas in three and a half hours..I just close my eyes and pray...lol

orange county
Level Contributor
699 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: driving from vegas to LA

I dont know why people think it takes 5 hours. I just did it in a little under 4 hours and I wasnt going too crazy with the lead foot. It took my a little over 4 hours going there on a friday night, which is the worst day to go.

but like everyone said, it all depends on where in la you're headed too, when you leave and what day you're leaving.

8. Re: driving from vegas to LA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2009, 13:16