We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Touring starting in Las Vegas!

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
bristol uk
Level Contributor
122 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Touring starting in Las Vegas!

Hi All,

I hope this is the correct place to ask all these questions!

I have booked a road trip, just me and the boyfriend from UK to US and wondered if you guys could share any interesting places we could see along the way !! we only have 2 weeks to cram it all in and would love to make the most out of as much time as we have possible!

any advice you have - no matter how small would be a huge massive help. Only the flights have been booked apart from the hotel in new york so we have 6 months to figure out hotels for the rest of the stay :)

So from London we will stop at :-

new york for 2 nights... staying in Hotel St James ( really worried about using the subway.. ive never used london underground before lol )

then we fly onto Las vegas 1 night

las vegas - (death valley) - yosemite 1 night (maybe two if a stay isnt needed in lake mono)

yosemite - lake mono 1 night

lake mono - bodie - tonopah 1 night

tonopah - bryce canyon 1 night

bryce canyon - arches national park- canyonlands 1 night

canyonlands - mesa verde 1 night

mesa verde - four corners - page 1 night ( see lake powell and antelope canyon although im afraid of heights ha!)

page- monument valley 1 night

monument valley - sedona 1 night

sedona - grand canyon - las vegas 2 nights

again thanks for all your help :)

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
19,103 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Touring starting in Las Vegas!

You'll get better answers in the Road Trip forum although my initial reaction is it seems a bit rushed with lots of 1 night stays and lots of driving days and little relaxation time. You could easily spend all your touring days on the Bryce Canyon to Grand Canyon/Las Vegas section - for example you'll have little time to explore Bryce Canyon as you arrive one day/depart the next for a long drive to Arches NP which is really a 2 day drive.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_T…

Boston
Level Contributor
24,440 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Touring starting in Las Vegas!

" I have booked a road trip, just me and the boyfriend from UK to US and wondered if you guys could share any interesting places we could see along the way '

I didn't realize you can make this drive.

" new york for 2 nights... staying in Hotel St James ( really worried about using the subway.. ive never used london underground before lol"

New York is a Great city, the subway system can be a bit confusing but people will help you if you ask, its the only way to get around in Manhattan its fast and cheap, problem is two nights in NY is not enough to see much at all.

…photobucket.com/user/…NYDec2012

…photobucket.com/user/…NYSep2012

…photobucket.com/user/…NewYorkJune2012

Your schedule doesn't leave much time to relax, maybe by cutting a few places out you can enjoy more of the other places instead of it being a hit and run trip.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
353 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Touring starting in Las Vegas!

You need to cut way back on your list. Find a mileage chart and check out point to point travel times.(mapquest, google, yahoo...whatever. Actually a paper map would be the best option so you can see how huge the USA actually is.

Blackpool
Level Contributor
1,096 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Touring starting in Las Vegas!

You will cover a lot of miles and to be honest I think you are really trying to put too much in your itinerary. I have just come back from a trip and this is the way I did it.

Night 1 Fly into Vegas - stayed at Henderson

2 &3 stayed at Loughlin. went to Hoover Dam on way (free parking on Nevada side up the hill , otherwise $7)

Don't bother with the Hoover Dam tour at $30 - a rip off. Went on boat trip from Riverside Resort to see Davis Dam.

4 & 5 stayed at Williams Day 5 went on Grand Grand Canyon Train $91 each coach class.

6 & 7 stayed at Page. Did the Glen Canyon Dam tour $5 and free parking. Route 89 is out just below Page so you have detour an extra 60 miles via 160 & 98

8 & 9 went to Ruby's Inn for Bryce Canyon. Also did Kodachrome Canyon and beyond Escalante as far as Toorey - this last section was unbelievable single track each way with sheer drops either side.

10 & 11 Springdale. Did Zion National Park Came round via I15 juntion 40 Utah and did Kolob Canyons.

From there back to Vegas via Valley of Fire and Lake Mead.

If you are going to visit all of these parks you need to get an America The Beautiful National Parks And Federal Recreational Lands annual pass. It will cost you $80 otherwise Park charges are expensive. It doesn't cover valley of Fire or Kodachrome however.

Otherwise- Grand Canyon $25, Zion $25, Bryce Canyon $25, Lake Mead $10, Red Rock Canyon $7 = $92 and that is only a few.

We took things at a steady pace and still missed a few bits and pieces. With the itinerary you are thinking of doing, it will be all driving and very little seeing because you will have to move that fast.

2 other tips- get your car via uscarhire.co.uk for an all inclusive deal and the breakdown insurance at $2.50 a day from a link from the uscarhire.com website.

We got our car from them and apart from the National agent at Vegas we had a good trip.

For accomadation, check hotel prices through Trivago.com - compares Hotels.com and 20 odd other sites.

Hope these tips help - they worked for us

gismo

bristol uk
Level Contributor
122 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Touring starting in Las Vegas!

Thanks for all the replys :) ill have to go back to the drawing board and see what things I can skip out !

You have all been so helpful thank you x

scotland
Level Contributor
287 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Touring starting in Las Vegas!

I will just chime in and say that the subway is very easy to use in NYC, there's always the large map in the station if you are unsure, and its quite easy to read too, you will be fine.

2 days in NYC will be a mad dash to see everything but an enjoyable one at that.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,249 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Touring starting in Las Vegas!

Use Google maps as part of your planning to see just how far those places are apart.Just plug in your destinations.

Vegas to Yosemite in one day is a long haul. You will pass right by Mono Lake to get to Yosemite if you go when Tioga Pass is open.

Tonopah to Bryce as about 6-7 hours, Bryce to Moab about 5. So you will spend quite a bit of time in the car.

Upper Antelope Canyon is on level ground, so having a fear of heights does not come into play there.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,660 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Touring starting in Las Vegas!

Sounds like a very ambitious itinerary! One-night stays everywhere. What a whirlwind you have planned. My recommendation is to see a bit less and to spend a couple of nights, at least, to enjoy each place. My minimum out West is two nights in any location.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,660 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Touring starting in Las Vegas!

I would like to add that the western states are very large. You can literally spend an entire day driving from one end of a state to another. From Las, Vegas, Nevada to Jackpot, Nevada, for example, it is an 8 hour drive. It is a 5 hour drive to the Grand Canyon from Las Vegas. My best advice is to use Google maps. They will serve you well in NYC and your Western vacation.

Best wishes! You are about to embark upon a exciting adventure of a lifetime!

10. Re: Touring starting in Las Vegas!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 April 2014, 06:15