We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Canyon by car from LV (3 full days)

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Zug, Switzerland
Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Grand Canyon by car from LV (3 full days)

Hey,

I will be in LV next weekend and I am planning to visit the Grand Canyon. I shall arrive on Thursday evening and need to leave Vegas on Monday early morning, so my trip to Grand Canyon is from Friday morning to Sunday evening. I was thinking about the following:

Friday: leave LV - Hoover's Dam - Skywalk - stay overnight somewhere in Kingman

Saturday: Kingman - Grand Canyon South Rim - stay overnight somewhere in Williams

Sunday: Williams - Grand Canyon South Rim - back to Vegas

I don't want to drive more than 6h per day and want to see as much as possible. It seems that with such a short notice no rooms will be available in South Rim resorts so I thought about staying in Kingman and Williams but maybe there are better ideas for locations to stay overnight?

What do you guys think? this will be my first visit there and most probably I will not come back anytime soon so I want to make the most of it.

I was also considering getting a helicopter trip from LV but I think I will get to see more driving myself.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Canyon by car from LV (3 full days)

If you're going to the South Rim why bother with the Skywalk? Most people say it's a joke compared to the South Rim. Hotels.com has rooms in the Grand Canyon Village starting at $150 per night for Fri and Sat night, in Williams they start at around $70 per night. Up to you if you want to drive all the way back and forth to Williams to save the $80 per night. You can make it easily to GCV from Las Vegas in under 6 hours of driving.

North Bay
Level Contributor
282 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Canyon by car from LV (3 full days)

You could check out a motel in Tusayan...it's about a mile south of the park. I stayed at the Red Feather Lodge last year because I could not get a room inside and it served it's purpose...

Zug, Switzerland
Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Canyon by car from LV (3 full days)

thanks for your replies. I have checked in the meanwhile that the skywalk indeed is not worth visiting, it's a waste of time.

I am not looking to save on accommodation, it is just that I thought there are only hotels offered by Xanterra in the Canyon area.

So reviewing my trip, I am thinking about:

Friday - driving from LV to South Rim and seeing Hoover's Dom on the way (really want to see this one)

Saturday - whole day at the South Rim

Sunday - half day at the Rim and return to LV

So you suggest it is best to stay in the Grand Canyon Village?

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
33,862 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Canyon by car from LV (3 full days)

Best place to ask about accommodation at or close to South Rim (along with questions regarding how best to spend your time there) is here.

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g143028-i157-Grand…

Lots of detailed and expert advice to be found on that forum.

Edited: 06 April 2013, 22:31
Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
112 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand Canyon by car from LV (3 full days)

I stayed at the Red Feather a few years ago, and paid quite a bit. I really regretted not staying at the Angel Lodge Cabins.

I would not rely on the Xanterra website to determine if rooms are available. If at all possible, call them to inquire if there is anything available. We have been able to book lodging in many popular national parks (Yellowstone, Yosemite, Zion) by phoning, even when the website showed it was not available. I think many people book rooms just to have the option and then later cancel them.

Blackpool
Level Contributor
1,096 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grand Canyon by car from LV (3 full days)

If you park on the Nevada side of the dam and a few hundred yards up the road parking is free - otherwise $7

I would forget staying in Kingman and go straight on to Williams instead. Wherever you stay, check accomadation on Trivago.com It is a comparison website and has Hotels.com, laterooms.com and about 20 others for the best rates.

I stayed at Williams Travelodge 3 weeks ago. Clean comfortable and cheap.

Grand Canyon pass will copst you $25.

You won't see everything at the Grand Canyon but you can get a Camera Memory card whch includes 200 photos on it for $19.99 +tax at The Williams rail depot and the gift store above the Rail Depot at the Canyon itself.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,661 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grand Canyon by car from LV (3 full days)

the trip from Kingman to Williams is not that long by Interstate. I'd rather see you stay at Williams. If you don't mind paying more for a hotel, Tusayan is a very nice option. I've stayed at both Tusayan and Williams. Williams is farther away from the park entrance, but it is cheaper and has more options for food and lodging.

Yes, absolutely! Drive to the canyon. The drive is beautiful!

Edited: 07 April 2013, 01:32
North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,661 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grand Canyon by car from LV (3 full days)

We have used this plan for visiting the GC: Night 1 in Williams or Tusayan, and night 2 in Flagstaff. Return to Vegas from Flagstaff on I-40.While in Flagstaff area, see the Indian ruins and volcanic park. Well worth seeing, and are administer by the National Park Service.

Edited: 07 April 2013, 01:35
Wheat Ridge...
Level Contributor
5,932 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Grand Canyon by car from LV (3 full days)

If possible, stay in the park. Call Xanterra and keep calling. If you can't get anything there, book something in Tusayan, just outside the park. Williams is a long drive, and you will be doing it in the dark if you want to see sunrise and sunset. And you do want to see sunrise and sunset. Try to get something refundable and check at the desk at Bright Angle Lodge to see if they have rooms. They may well.

Even if you stop at Hoover Dam, you can get to GCNP the same day. Its about five hours from Vegas, four or a bit more from the Dam. Mostly interstate, except the road from Williams to the park.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
57,049 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Grand Canyon by car from LV (3 full days)

Xanterra phone is 888-297-2757

Call them for most up to date room inventory at the park. Room cancelations never get to the website. They quickly get rebooked by phone.