We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

question about flight "bumps"

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
maine
Level Contributor
46 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
question about flight "bumps"

We are leaving Las Vegas Thurs am..about 10...to Tampa....what are the chances of getting bumped ? We really wouldn't mind.....love those free tickets !!

California
Level Contributor
4,215 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: question about flight "bumps"

At the risk of sounding like Losvu, how in the heck would we know (especially since you don't mention what airline you are on)? Are you asking us to tell you the chances of your AM flight being over booked? You have return seats, so if it is overbooked, it's up to you if you want give up your seat to take a later flight. It's very unlikely that you'd get a free ticket, but instead be put on a later flight.

Level Contributor
791 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: question about flight "bumps"

I have to ask why you think anyone here would know the answer to that

Level Contributor
69 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: question about flight "bumps"

Last month and both to and from they overbooked and were asking for volunteers. For switching they were offering a free rt ticket to anywhere in the us plus $400 credit. I think you have a chance. Be quick if they make the announcement!

maine
Level Contributor
46 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: question about flight "bumps"

whoa.....never mind.....

Ohio
Level Contributor
342 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: question about flight "bumps"

What I have done in the past is get to the airport early and go up to the counter at the gate and ask if they need volunteers. If they do, they will happily accept your offer. Sometimes they say "not sure, stay close and we'll let you know." One time the only seats left were first class, so we got bumped to first. One time they told us to hang out, then said "go ahead and board"... Then chased us down the ramp and said "still interested??" And my husband, son and I each got $300 in credit on a future flight. My advice is to go prepared for a bump, volunteer politely ahead of time, know what your next flight options...and go for it!

Dallas
Level Contributor
21,058 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: question about flight "bumps"

evilynkitty -"free rt ticket to anywhere in the us plus $400 credit."

In addition you your flight to your original destination? what airline and to / from where?

I kind of have to doubt that a little bit. I've flown every week for about 20 years, and seen lots of overbooked flights. I never, ever saw an airline offer to fly you to your original destination, and another free ticket to any where in the U.S., and $400 cash.

Not saying it's not true....but, lets just say I'm skeptical.

You sure you got that right !!

Seattle
Level Contributor
3,896 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: question about flight "bumps"

Just read that these type of free flights/money, are on the way out, because if you agree to take the next flight, that next flight is already full...and the one after...

California
Level Contributor
4,215 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: question about flight "bumps"

I've seen the flight vouchers/cash offers when flights are cancelled but not for volunteering to take another flight. I'm sure they exist or have existed for volunteers to take later flights but not sure how frequently.

Edited: 10 April 2013, 01:39
Level Contributor
69 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: question about flight "bumps"

placebets.. You are right. I mis-remembered. It was a later flight to destination and $400 credit toward a rt ticket to anywhere in US. Not all 3 things.

Still think it was a good deal for someone who doesn't have a strict schedule to follow. Thanks for catching :)

Ontario's Near...
Level Contributor
145 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: question about flight "bumps"

Almost no more flight bumps anymore. It has become a thing of the past. your chance of getting bumped is 0