We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Diner style eateries...

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
South Wales
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Diner style eateries...

Are there any "traditional" diner style eateries on and around the strip that anyone could recommend?

21. Re: Diner style eateries...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12 April 2013, 19:35
Wheat Ridge...
Level Contributor
5,871 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Diner style eateries...

"Leo, agree but increasingly difficult to find.

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/4859740"

Now that's what I think of as a "diner". A converted rail car. But I've never spent any significant time on the east coast and I've never ran onto the real deal anyplace I have spent time. I don't think there are any of those in Vegas or hardly anyplace outside the east coast. I grew up in Missouri (which was a rebel state, by the way) and lived quite a while in TX and know the sort of place Losvu is talking about. In my town we had one called "Workman's" (the folks who owned it), but my grandparents and all the older folks called "the GI". There's one near my wife's hometown called "Cooking from Scratch" but that everyone calls "PD's" even though PD is long gone. They stopped serving breakfast recently. I think mostly because a whole crowd showed up about 6:00 AM and drank coffee for four hours. My father in law included, before he passed away. Just all the "good old boys" hanging out and chit chatting. None of these looked like that diner in the picture, but the function was the same.

Roxy's at Stratosphere was what I was thinking of. Been several years since I was there. It has pretty decent food. The waiters stop and sing (or, maybe, lip synch) a song every now and then.

Other places you might hit for quintessential Americana would be Sonic and Dairy Queen. None on the strip, but several nearby. Sonic is best experienced in a car.

Shag Harbour, Canada
Level Contributor
5,260 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Diner style eateries...

Definatly Tiffany's. I visit there every trip.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
526 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Diner style eateries...

As a Pacific Northwesterner I think of the "taditional" Americana diner as something from California, particularly LA, where I've never been to (but have read up about).

Never realized it was an East Coast thing.

I'm not talking about places w/ girls on skates... that would be more of a novelty type of diner.

Near Seattle we used to have Mr. Bills, which at one time did have waitresses on skates, and also photos of 1950s stars & cars on the walls, a jukebox, and a menu that included hamburgers and sandwiches such as "The Bob Hope", "The Laurel and Hardy". Really good, hearty food. Loved that place and have been looking for something like that since...

To me Mel's Diner in SF was closest I could find.

In Las Vegas I think it would have to be Roxy's, although I agree the place has a "cheap" feel to it. Would still be the closest thing.

Denny's & my favorite standby IHOP & even the Sonic drive-in might fit the bill to a foreigner, but I'd definitely put them at the bottom if the list for lack of uniqueness.

Vegas could definitely use a full scale type of this genre of diner... like that place they go to in Pulp Fiction, where they dance the Twist... Something to that scale would be a hit in Vegas, in my opinion.

Tiffany's is a LUNCH COUNTER -- ala Woolworths & reminiscent to the "Nighthawks" painting by Edward Hopper.... It may have similar food to a "traditional" Americana diner, it's just not that... Their concept is much older.

Sonoma, California
Level Contributor
727 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Diner style eateries...

Dupars downtown comes to mind, solid food

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
119 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Diner style eateries...

Black Bear Diner

6180 W Tropicana Ave, Las Vegas, NV 89103-4604

702-368-1077

blackbeardiner.com/location/nevada/lasvegas/

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g45963-d49…

The Netherlands
Level Contributor
326 posts
Save Reply
27. Re: Diner style eateries...

When we visit America we love to eat at places like IHOP and Denny's. It so different from the restaurants in the Netherlands. That is why we don't care at all for all the Wolfgang Pucks, Gordon Ramseys and other fine dining places, for that kind of restaurants we can visit at home every day. For me, dining out is so cheap in America, compared to the Netherlands, especially when we visit the 'diners' like Denny's. I remember the first time I was in America and we stopped at a Waffle House. That place was exactly how I knew America from the movies and TV-shows. I couldn't stop making pictures, of the waitresses, the jukebox, the booth, the counter, it was a very special moment. I think i really felt the way as tourists feel when they see windmills and tulips in the Netherlands. It is just what you are used to.

Toledo, Ohio...
Level Contributor
1,630 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Diner style eateries...

There is something you all are missing that really describes a diner....amazing PIE....it is not a diner unless you can see a glass case filled with homemade pies...that is my achilles heel....sitting in a diner, breakfast served anytime, burgers and fries are the staple, and pie....that is a diner lol

29. Re: Diner style eateries...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 April 2014, 05:18