We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel dates December 1 through 5th?

Bloomfield, New York
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Travel dates December 1 through 5th?

I was hoping to spend Thanksgiving in Phoenix, then fly to Vegas the following week.

I am wondering what it is normally like, weather wise, and if going just following a holiday week means larger crowds.

Any advice?

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,304 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel dates December 1 through 5th?

It will be busy the last day or so of your trip since the National Finals Rodeo comes to town on December 5. It's a huge crowd and they'll show up a few days early. The beginning of your trip should be quieter.

Weather is warmer than on the East Coast, but it is still sweater/light jacket weather and can be quite windy. Downright cold at night.

Cedar Rapids, Iowa...
Level Contributor
1,761 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel dates December 1 through 5th?

The rodeo does provide a big crowd, but, at the same time, there are traditionally far less regular people coming to vacation during those weeks, as it's between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Tighter budgets, people with travel plans for the holidays, etc, all mean less regular folks the couple times I've been there in later November or early December.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,534 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel dates December 1 through 5th?

"I am wondering what it is normally like, weather wise, and if going just following a holiday week means larger crowds."

It'll probably be on the cool side with December average temps ranging from around 40F to around 60F, I wouldn't expect large crowds as December tends to be a quiet month in LV. Note that some shows may be dark as they take a break.

Edit - Oops, forgot about the rodeo.

Edited: 12 April 2013, 18:52
Stevenage, United...
Level Contributor
1,935 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel dates December 1 through 5th?

It is a good time to go. Those there for Thanksgiving would have gone home and although the Rodeo people will start to arrive it will not be crowded. May be able to catch some Country music bands on the stages on Fremont. In the past cocktail waitresses have dressed in denim and bars are set-up on haybales - the Rodeo being a big event in a usually quiet time. I may time my last visit of the year around this time.

Level Contributor
77 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel dates December 1 through 5th?

We were there last year from the 3rd to the sixth. Short sleves during the day, with a light jacket at night. This year we are going the 2nd thru the ninth. Great weather for us as we are from Michigan.

Bloomfield, New York
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel dates December 1 through 5th?

Thanks, everyone, for the responses! I will go ahead and book it as soon as I can.

7. Re: Travel dates December 1 through 5th?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 April 2014, 05:17