We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wearing contact lenses in Las Vegas

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
England, United...
Level Contributor
2,703 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Wearing contact lenses in Las Vegas

I'm a contact lens wearer but always struggle with them in Vegas. Due to the lack of humidity they tend to lose moisture much quicker and consequently become uncomfortable. I've tried re-wetting drops but with no real success.

Have any other contact lens wearers had this problem and managed to find a solution?

TIA

Tempe, AZ
Level Contributor
10,287 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wearing contact lenses in Las Vegas

No, my contacts are good for about a week at a time so I don't usually even take them out in Vegas. Never had a problem.

Tempe, AZ
Level Contributor
10,287 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wearing contact lenses in Las Vegas

I guess my advice is get extended wear lenses. They contain more water than daily wear.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
24,107 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Wearing contact lenses in Las Vegas

I wore contacts for about 8 years that I lived there and through hundreds of visits since as well as many visits to other desert cities (Phoenix, Tucson, Palm Springs) and have never had issues. Have you asked your optometrist for suggestions?

England, United...
Level Contributor
2,703 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wearing contact lenses in Las Vegas

Thanks.

Yes, I might give the extended wear lenses a try. I suppose if they're comfortable enough to sleep in for a week they should be an improvement over the monthly disposables I usually wear.

Good idea to ask the optometrist for advice too, maybe my eyes are a bit on the dry side these days.

Ashford, United...
Level Contributor
115 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Wearing contact lenses in Las Vegas

Have worn contacts for 20 years now and have noticed no difference once in Vegas to anywhere else.

I wear mine permanently for a month and then change them.... These may suit you out there as more hardy and more moist.

If all else fails, a shot of vodka in each eye and double-down :-)

California
Level Contributor
4,215 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wearing contact lenses in Las Vegas

I also wear contacts and have allergies too so often that helps keep them from drying out. Keeping hydrated also helps, drink lots of water and electrolytes. Perhaps a different re-wetting drop or even an allergy drop would help, before you put in the contacts in the AM.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
432 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wearing contact lenses in Las Vegas

Just be careful about wearing the extended wear contact lenses. You have a much higher risk of getting infections and things when you sleep with them in. My ones are extended wear but I always take them out at night.

England, United...
Level Contributor
2,703 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wearing contact lenses in Las Vegas

That's what I was thinking - get the extended/continuous wear lenses for their comfort but still take them out each night.

Thanks to all for advice and suggestions. Much appreciated.

Acton, Canada
Level Contributor
11,585 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wearing contact lenses in Las Vegas

Get Lasic, best 2500 I ever spent! I had coke bottle glasses and not I am better than 20/20!

England, United...
Level Contributor
2,703 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wearing contact lenses in Las Vegas

I almost did get the laser treatment a few years ago. Had a few meetings and discussions and preliminary tests but chickened out when it came to committing to it.

Glad to hear you had such a good outcome but I've heard a few horror stories too!