We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Red Rock or Hoover Dam

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
443 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Red Rock or Hoover Dam

If I only have one afternoon to get out of town, which of these destinations would be best?

I've driven over the dam, but haven't seen the new bridge. I love the geology and scenery that I've seen in pictures from Red Rock, but I just had knee surgery, so I won't be able to walk too far in the canyon.

Which is the best use of my time?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
24,348 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Red Rock or Hoover Dam

I say flip a coin. If you get 20 answers you probably will have 10 for each.

The Dam is of no interest to me, but maybe it is to you. You could spend the day driving out to Lake Las Vegas and then to Mead and over to the Dam just checking out the scenery that way? Red Rock you can drive the 13 mile loop, but the most spectacular things are if you are able to get out and walk in. You also could make a longer day and drive to and then through Valley of Fire then to the LAke and follow the Lake South the the Dam?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
443 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Red Rock or Hoover Dam

Thanks for the input...kind of what I figured. I'd like to check out the Valley of Fire, but I'm going with my dad who just spent 4 days ATVing through there, so we'll probably check out somewhere else.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,229 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Red Rock or Hoover Dam

If you have not seen the bypass bridge, it is pretty impressive. Take a walk across it all the way to the AZ side for some nice views of the dam.Parking is free.

There is an easy walking trail nearby on the old railroad trail.

www.nps.gov/lake/planyourvisit/hikerr.htm

If you cross the bridge on hwy 93, you can head down to Willow Beach and have lunch at the marina overlooking the far reaches of Lake Mohave below the dam.You can also rent a motorboat and go upriver to near the dam.

You can also go to the floating restaurant on the docks at Las Vegas Bay Marina on Lake Mead.

Edited: 18 April 2013, 23:39
ann arbor
Level Contributor
68 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Red Rock or Hoover Dam

I'd go with Red Rock. The dam while cool doesn't change much and the brdige can wait. But it would be great to see Red Rock at different times of the year. Even though you are not at your best physically, you can still take your time and walk some pretty flat trails or even if you choose to stick close to your car can still enjoy the scenery.

Shelby Township...
Destination Expert
for Paradise
Level Contributor
2,317 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Red Rock or Hoover Dam

Add Valley of Fire State Park to the list. And then scratch the Hoover Dam off that list. Valley of Fire is about 50 miles from the Strip and has dramatic formations--even more so than Red Rock Canyon. It also seems much closer to the roadway and less frequented.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
73 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Red Rock or Hoover Dam

On my 2nd trip to Vegas after 3 days I was ready for a break. Red Rock was perfect! Easy, close drive. Great info center. Goes in a loop through the park. Plenty of places to hop out & explore. I didn't truly know how neat it was & had on sandals not really meant for "hiking" & totally enjoyed it. I have beautiful photos that I've used in calendars. We saw several traveling Big Horn sheep, very cool! Take a few hours & check it out.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
22,501 posts
5,254 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Red Rock or Hoover Dam

The drive through Red Rock is gorgeous - just park at the various parking areas and you can see the best of the best.

The new bridge area of Hoover Dam is impressive - the problem I see is the walk down from the bridge area if you just have knee surgery. Although they made some nice gentle walk ways, it might just be more jarring than you want - (note; If you are ok with gentle incline hills walking up and down, you will be fine).

However you can easily do Red Rock Canyon and see so much even from the comfort of your car.

We've done longer walks/hikes there and explored their museum - but some trips I just pay my fee and do a leisurely drive through the Canyon - and its always amazing.

Edited: 19 April 2013, 05:29
Level Contributor
36 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Red Rock or Hoover Dam

Two totally different places - red rock is beautiful and a nice easy drive, Hoover dam also impressive as an engineering wonder. Also its quite exciting to see something from the old school text books in real life! I'd flip a coin....or try and squeeze both in?

9. Re: Red Rock or Hoover Dam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 April 2014, 06:16