We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting the canyon in december

Australia
Level Contributor
2,625 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting the canyon in december

Is the south rim closed in December? I won't be driving so thinking of taking a tour. I read its a long drive, but is it doable?

Not interested in hiking, just want to see the beauty of the canyon.

Thanks

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
59,295 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting the canyon in december

http://www.nps.gov/grca/index.htm

There is also a separate forum for the Grand Canyon in the Arizona state forum area that might provide some more info.

Mentioned in this post
Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
9,305 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting the canyon in december

The south rim is open year round. Its the north rim that closes for part of the year. Dress warmly as it will likely be quite cold with maybe even snow.

Europe
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting the canyon in december

Hi,

December 2012 (6th until 14th) Grand Canyon had spring temperaturs. I was looking for a visit Grand Canyon South to take pictures (with snow). No Snow !

Mentioned in this post
Muskegon, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,863 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting the canyon in december

SOuth Rim will be open in December....as mentioned, it's the North rim that will be closed during that time. I have visited it on a tour from Vegas on a November, and it's quite cold there. No snow during that visit, but it did snow in my last GCNP visit from Vegas, which was March of 2012...I'm just grateful we went on a tour with Pink Jeep tours for that one, and not some big bus tour, or it would've sucked to be on a bus with snow flurries around.... But yes, the South Rim will be open in December. I'm actually considering visiting the South Rim from Vegas for the 5th time now with my wife for our honeymoon trip in December....considering 3 tour companies for that one....

Mentioned in this post
Pink Jeep Tours Las Vegas
Pink Jeep Tours Las Vegas
2,442 Reviews
Las Vegas, NV
North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,682 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting the canyon in december

Oh, yes! By all means. Visit the GC south rim in December. We went in December, 2012, and it was wonderful. Less crowded. Beautiful, clear skies. Very cold, though. Be prepared to bundle up, since the elevation is much higher than Las Vegas. There will be snow on the ground on the rim, although not down in the lower elevation, down in the canyon. Check the Weather Channel online to watch for snowstorms. You don't want to go if the weather is bad. As an alternative, go to Death Valley if the weather is bad at the GC. It is wonderful, too. The trip to the GC is a pleasant one. If you leave after breakfast, you should be there around lunchtime.

Mentioned in this post
6. Re: Visiting the canyon in december

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 May 2014, 05:17