We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

grand canyon tours from las vegas

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
m a
Newark, New Jersey
10 posts
Save Topic
grand canyon tours from las vegas

Hi, Has anyone done a great tour from las vegas to west rim or south rim of grand canyon?

if so, please let me know what tour company and if you can-- a rough price estimate.

am planning a trip for 3 adults in may- we'll be staying in vegas.

have not decide whether to go west rim or south rim and have not decided on a tour company.

am looking to do bus only tour. suggestions welcome! THanks!

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
18,624 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: grand canyon tours from las vegas

"have not decide whether to go west rim or south rim and have not decided on a tour company." - I would stress that going to the so called "West Rim" will deny you the chance of visiting the Grand Canyon National Park and the majority view is that the "West Rim" is a tourist trap.

A bus tour to the GCNP will involve around 10 hours on a bus (5 hours each way) with around 3 hours at the GCNP - it will be cheaper for a party of 3 to rent a car and do it as a self drive trip, preferably with an overnight stay.

See Top Questions for more info.

m a
Newark, New Jersey
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: grand canyon tours from las vegas

thanks tomc97.

how long would you suggest visiting gcnp? do not plan to stay overnight.

so, if you can suggest top highlights of south rim of gcnp?

also- heard that south rim is more crowded and farther away from vegas.

is this correct?

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
18,624 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: grand canyon tours from las vegas

"how long would you suggest visiting gcnp? do not plan to stay overnight." - Basically as long as possible but if you're not doing an overnight I'd try to get 5 hours at GCNP but this could mean an early start and/or late return to Las Vegas when you take the 5 hours drive each way) into account.

"so, if you can suggest top highlights of south rim of gcnp?" - For a brief visit you are limited to the scenic drives/overlooks, one can be done by a local tour bus, stop at one of the park ranger stations as soon as you get to the NP.

"also- heard that south rim is more crowded and farther away from vegas." - It gets more visitor numbers but by virtue of its size I wouldn't consider it crowded especially if you go midweek but it is further from LV than the "West Rim"

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
16 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: grand canyon tours from las vegas

In April we went to the south rim with Grand Adventures.Pick up at 7 am and drop off at 11:30 pm at our hotel. It was 160.00 per person with breakfast and lunch included. We were in a 10 passenger van with a very knowledgable driver. Stopped at Hoover Dam and Route 66. It was a long day but very enjoyable. Look them up on here and you will find many favorable reviews.

Wheat Ridge...
Level Contributor
5,871 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: grand canyon tours from las vegas

If you're doing only a day trip to GCNP, DO NOT waste time on Hoover Dam, Route 66, or any other stop. Unfortunately, with a tour, you may not have much choice.

With only a few hours in the park, head west along the rim toward Hermit's Rest. Its easy and pretty flat hiking. You can't drive there except during winter months, but there's a bus that circulates. It stops at all the lookouts when its going west, and a few of them when its going east back to the Village. So, you can walk between some of them and ride the bus between others. With only a few hours to visit, this is your best chance to see some spectactular views. Do walk between a few of them, if you have time. I especially like the stretch from Hopi Point to Monument Creek Vista. Here's the newsletter with a map:

nps.gov/grca/parknews/upload/2013SRspring-gu…

That newsletter changes quarterly, so if that link doesn't work, go to the maps page:

www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/maps.htm

And look for the village transit map.

There will be people at the south rim, but its not what you would call crowded. Walk along the rim and you'll be able to get as close as you dare. There are low walls at the view points, but for the most part you could walk out to the edge and leap right off.

I'll add that, while many folks treat it like it is, GCNP is not just a side trip from Vegas. Its quite a ways. Its a destination in its own right. Doing it as a side trip is a lot like going to New York City and saying "hey, lets go check out Boston for the day.". Do-able, sure. But you can't see it in a few hours.

Edited: 02 May 2013, 00:21
Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,748 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: grand canyon tours from las vegas

In my opinion, do not bother with Grand Canyon West. It is not part of the NPS system and not even that great of a destination--"tourist trap" is absolutely accurate. The south rim will be far more fulfilling.

sutton in ashfield
Level Contributor
46 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: grand canyon tours from las vegas

My Wife & I have just returned from fabulous stay in Vegas.

We did the west rim canyon with overnight stay at the Diamond Bar Ranch. Jaw droppingly brilliant.

The ranch is a real working ranch supplying cattle for the Rodeo circuit.

Look it up on Heli USA website, they have tours to suit all tastes.

Your looking at $200 each for the canyon flight on it's own

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,522 posts
302 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: grand canyon tours from las vegas

I'm with 333Travel. I'm booking Grand Adventures for my trip in September. Can't be bothered to rent a car or to stay overnight.

brisbane australia
Level Contributor
354 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: grand canyon tours from las vegas

I think Grand Adventures is a good choice. We went on the Sunset tour in September a couple of years ago. We got picked up around 8a.m. and were back around midnight. I did not find the 5 hours either way to be too long. On the trip out there was lots to see and we had a few stops and on the return I slept most of the way as it was night time.

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
5,294 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: grand canyon tours from las vegas

Yes, Grand Adventures gets consistently great reviews. However, it is $160 per person and there are three of you. You can rent a car, fuel it up, and pay for admission to the park for less than one of you will pay for a tour. Economically it is worth considering doing this on your own. Althought it is a long drive it is relatively easy.