We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vegas in December

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
107 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Vegas in December

Hi !

Any ideas or suggestions of must-do's or must see in December in Las Vegas? What is the weather really like? (I dont trust the weather people much..could barely get a daily forecast correct)...Thank you in advance :)

Mentioned in this post
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,162 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vegas in December

Weather is OK daytime but chilly at night.

1st week usually has Rodeo Finals and MLife holiday promo - so pretty crowded. Things thin out after the 10th or so. NYE is packed.

Beware that some pools may be closed.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
8,243 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Vegas in December

It's really no different than any other time.

Ballagio's Conservatory will have a holiday theme. Venetian had an outdoor skating rink made with synthetic "ice" and a nightly holiday parade (which was extremely cool). Sam's Town decorates heavily. The various permanent shows tend to take breaks, but they're announced well in advance so that shouldn't have any real effect on planning.

Nobody can tell you what the weather will be like - check the weather sites for historical information.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
279 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Vegas in December

I was in Vegas this past December for the marathon. The weather was surprisingly very nice, it was about 18ish during the day and 12 degrees or so at night, perfect running weather. We stayed at the Wynn and the main pool was open and we spent the morning having a coffee at the pool. The Wynn and Encore had Christmas-y decorations up, there were skating rinks at Venetian and Cosmo. Unfortunately the conservatory at Bellagio was not set up for Christmas but I'm sure it would be beautiful.

Mentioned in this post
Wynn Las Vegas
Wynn Las Vegas
20,215 Reviews
Las Vegas, NV
Encore At Wynn  Las Vegas
Encore At Wynn Las Vegas
14,094 Reviews
Las Vegas, NV
Bellagio Las Vegas
Bellagio Las Vegas
14,389 Reviews
Las Vegas, NV
Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,780 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vegas in December

I've lived in the area since 2008 and it's cool in winter, as loubie_lover said, perfect running weather. Sometimes we do get rain/snow (snow stays on the mountains). Some days are warmer than others but definitely bring a jacket.

Winter is a great time for hiking and exploring if you enjoy that sort of thing (much safer than attempting hikes in 115 degree summer temps). Besides that, it's similar to other times of the year minus the summer pool parties. Prices are a bit lower, too.

Edited: 08 May 2013, 17:46
Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
138 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vegas in December

Hello

Been twice in December - really coincidentally it snowed both times

First time was for NYE - Madness but soooo much fun if you can handle crowds - Highly recommend. Light cover of snow overnight that effected nothing. Needed pumps/closed shoes and a jacket during the day but was nice and sunny.

Second time went early Dec to Xmas shop. Malls & lobby's all decorated. The weather was like May/June in UK. Warm enough for jeans & t-shirt during day, needed a cardigan for night time. Walked in flip flops from Trop to Mandalay one day in jeans & t, girl in shop said 'you're mad, its freezing' but we said 'its like a summer day for us!!'

That said we was delayed 2 days on return due to snow. Cabbie said he'd never seen snow like it in his life and definitely didn't know how to handle his cab in the few cm's that fell. Thomas Cook put us in South Coast... it was the best time, all the Americans were buzzing about the snow it made it more exciting

Nothing spoils Vegas.... enjoy your trip

Mentioned in this post
North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,682 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vegas in December

I love Las Vegas in December as opposed to July. I like just wearing a lightweight jacket and trying a little bit to stay warm instead of dodging the outdoors and stifling sun. The downside is not going swimming in the hotel pool because it is too cold.

Mentioned in this post
White Plains, New...
Destination Expert
for White Plains, Aruba
Level Contributor
7,042 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vegas in December

For the last 4 years, we went during the the Winter Break from Schools, the last week of December. weather was just like in NY. Jackets and gloves were perfect. It was sunny and clear sky. Very nice. Snow in the mountains, not on the Strip.

Sunny during the day. Sweatshirts were perfect.

Just check the weather before you come.

Weather channel is good.

Safe flights

Mentioned in this post
The Strip
The Strip
27,810 Reviews
Las Vegas, NV
calleefoneeya
Level Contributor
3,983 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vegas in December

In can be pretty chilly especially in late December. But there's no real reason to worry about it too much. Bring warm shoes and a warm coat or jacket with pockets for walking around outside if you plan to do that. Dress in layers so you can relax inside, and also so that you have an adaptable wardrobe. It's the desert. It can be 80 degrees or 30 degrees, sometimes both in the matter of about 48 hours.

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
1,781 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vegas in December

I'll chime in since we're used to the same weather.

First, it's dry. Really dry. Nose and skin will dry out quickly. Drink lots of water, use lip balm and lotion. I use a ton of conditioner in the shower then don't rinse it off 100%.

And it's cold in the winter. Don't think it's always hot because its in the desert. Sunny sweatshirt days and jacket nights.

Don't expect days at the pool either. But I like Vegas in December. People watching while the rodeo is in town is awesome. Hats, boots, belts, wranglers. Wow.

Mentioned in this post
10. Re: Vegas in December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 May 2014, 05:15