We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

30ish married couple things to do...

Macon, Georgia
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
30ish married couple things to do...

Hi everyone. The wife and I will be going to Las Vegas July 5-9 for our sixth wedding anniversary. Yes, we were one of the cheesy people that got married on 07-07-07 (ours actually happened on accident, but whatever). We will be staying at the Vdara. I like the idea of her having shops like City Center around and being able to take a short stroll to the Aria any time we want to gamble. I loved this area when I visited back in March for business. This will be my second trip (after the business trip in March) and her first. Anyway, I'm rambling.

I'm hunting for ideas on what a 30ish married couple can do while we're in town. We already have tickets to Garth (I'm a HUGE fan) and Blue Man Group (Always wanted to see them, it was included in our Southwest Vacations deal). I've got reservations for our anniversary night planned at Prime in the Bellagio. Also locked up the travelzoo 2-for-$39 w/drinks deal for the Mirage Buffet pass yesterday -- figured we had to experience a Las Vegas buffet just once so I could say we've done it, ya know? So I think I've got a decent amount of things planned already, but want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

We are NOT big dance club people. Thought about going - again, just so that we could say we "did Vegas" - but it's just not our thing. We'd love a nice little place to sit and have some drinks with a little live music if anyone has any recommendations. Also, we're big fans of piano bars if there's one that we should go to.

I do like to gamble and play poker, she's not into it as much. I think she'd be fine to play slots for a couple hours once or twice during the stay while I play craps or blackjack, but when I play poker I grind for five or six hours. Any ideas on what I can get for her to give her something to do for an extended period of time? I've thought about a spa and pitched it to her, but she's way too low maintenance for that. It's just not her thing.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Dallas
Level Contributor
2,692 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 30ish married couple things to do...

We are not big club people either but we do love lounges. We try to go to a new one every trip. The Mandarin Bar at MO has live jazz on Sunday night. We also enjoyed the Chandelier Bar and Hyde--we went to Hyde last September when we stayed at Vdara. I think there is a dueling piano bar at Paris and there is also one at Encore (where we stayed in April but we didn't go to it). During the day we hang out at the pool or the spa. If she likes to shop, there is certainly plenty of that also. If she enjoys tea, there is afternoon tea at both Bellagio and Mandarin Oriental.

Edited: 28 May 2013, 16:29
Macon, Georgia
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 30ish married couple things to do...

Thanks for the suggestions! We're doing dinner on Sunday at 8pm in Prime and I figured a nice little place to relax, have some cocktails, and enjoy some music would be great. Looking at some of the reviews, it looks like Hyde is a little bit more like a nightclub while Chandelier Bar looks a little more like a lounge which may be more to our style. Does that sound accurate to you? The Mandarin Bar also looks like it'd be a good choice for Sunday night.

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,199 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 30ish married couple things to do...

Get her a day pass to the spa while you play poker. Girls tend to like the spa!

Dallas
Level Contributor
2,692 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 30ish married couple things to do...

Hyde is only a nightclub on Tuesday, Friday and Saturday. The rest of the week, it's a lounge. We went on a Sunday night.

Macon, Georgia
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 30ish married couple things to do...

ilovvegas - She's not really a spa type of girl. She's too low maintenance for that. The idea of a stranger giving her a massage, having a facial done, etc. is just weird to her. I know to many that's silly, but that's just who she is. Sure, she could go down and get a mani/pedi or something like that but it's not going to eat a large chunk of time.

SG - Awesome. Thanks, you've been a big help.

austin
Level Contributor
343 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 30ish married couple things to do...

I will start off with saying personally I thought Prime was the biggest disappointment of my Vegas trip. I know it has great reviews, but I thought it was the worst meal of my trip. I enjoyed Table ten for my steak. The view is also not great because only a few tables can see much.

For live music and drinks I would say NY would be the best option for you. They have the live piano bar that is great. They also have Gallagers steak house next to it so you could eat a great meal while listening to it.

Vdara is an awesome hotel and you will Love it, but try to get the fountain view. That made the trip even better.

Also for a fun bar you might want to try the Quads. It was a ran down hotel, but with the new renovations the bar is actually really nice. If you bet ten dollars in the machine at the bar you can drink for free. Good luck

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
707 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 30ish married couple things to do...

Hi, I am going to Vegas in a few weeks with my hubby, we have both been playing on myvegas and built up some rewards, one being the minus 5 ice bar in mandalay bay, we plan to do that at some point, we have tickets for duelling pianos at monte carlo, tickets for secret garden at Mirage. We plan too to hit the lounges rather than clubs although I quite like the look of the new club The Light at Mandalay Bay, Senior Frogs is a fun place to go, we went there last time we were in Vegas mainly cause it reminded us of our trip to Mexico. We are going to hire a car for a couple of days also and drive off strip to see what we can find and are planning on one of the nights to go to a drive in movie as we don't have anything like that in UK. Oh, also we checked out what gigs were on at Mandalay Bay and have got tickets to see one of my hubbys favourite bands when we are there, so that might be something cool for your to do if you like to go see bands play.

Edited: 28 May 2013, 19:12
Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
804 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 30ish married couple things to do...

She won't be hard up for shopping if she's into that. Planet Hollywood, Bellagio, Caesars, Venetian/Palazzo all have malls attached. And there is the Fashion Show Mall. Aria which is next to Vdara has some classes that she could do if she is into fitness. Sounds stupid I know but some people like to exercise on vacation;) I'm just not one of them!

There are also lots of daytime shows, magicians, comedians and a stripper class (they teach you how to do a striptease) I've never done it but I've heard good reviews. She could also do a guided group tour.

Have fun and happy anniversary!

port charlotte...
Level Contributor
646 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 30ish married couple things to do...

@sajouk where is the drive in movie at? Sounds fun!

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
707 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 30ish married couple things to do...

This is the one I found...

www.westwinddriveins.com/westwind/index.php…