We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do some Southwest sales only last hours????!

Waukesha, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
838 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Do some Southwest sales only last hours????!

I have been checking every day for our annual November trip to LV from MKE. Last week I came across a great deal 149$ each way direct at 1:00. Excited, i frantically text'd my 3 friends to coordinate and confirm exact dates. By the time I got the third confirmation (6:00) the fares were back up to 189. Now i check every day and they go from 179-211$ depending on the day of the week. Fridays seem to be more expensive than mon/tues. Was this just a fluke or does SW airlines really have like 5 hour sales? I am optimistic I will find another sale before November, but thinking maybe I should just book the 179 and change if i find a sale this summer. Anyone change flights with SW? I think i get a credit for the difference. Also, back in April, SW had an early bird fall sale that I missed. Do they do this frequently throughout the summer or is it dependent upon their current booking rates? Lots of questions here so Thanks again forum for any answers!

Jamie

Waukesha, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
838 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do some Southwest sales only last hours????!

After reading my post I just to want clarify: booking a tuesday departure seems to increase if i try to book it on a friday vs a tuesday. not booking a friday flight vs a tuesday flight.

new york
Level Contributor
1,493 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do some Southwest sales only last hours????!

Yes...If you book on SW and you want to cancel for any reason, including rebooking for a lower fare, there is no penalty. The price you paid goes into your SW account until you decide to use it up to a year from your original ticket purchase. I use SW a lot and have done this MANY times.

Edited: 31 May 2013, 13:25
Connecticut
Level Contributor
11,278 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do some Southwest sales only last hours????!

During their sales, and other times as well, SW will lower the price on a limited number of seats. When those are sold, you'll see higher prices for the rest of the seats even within the same category (like the least expensive wanna get away fares).

Look for their anniversary sale in June. The actual date is the 18th, however, in recent years the sale often shows up before it's officially made known through emails and on their website.

Mullica Hill, New...
Level Contributor
7,157 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do some Southwest sales only last hours????!

You said you check everyday, right? When was the last time you checked, prior to that 1pm? Just because you saw fares go higher in 5 hours doesn't mean they were the exact hours of the sale.

For example: Let's say you last checked fares the previous day at 1pm. At 1:30pm, the fare sale could have gone into effect. You didn't notice it until 1pm the next day - nearly 24 hours later. By the time fares increased; that sale could have been 28 hours old; not the 5 hours you are believing.

Waukesha, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
838 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do some Southwest sales only last hours????!

@ roadnut. I believe i checked the night before. I have been pretty consistent checking over the last 2-3 weeks. I was just surprised that it was that cheap, i think a 30-40$ drop each way from the night before. It could have been an 8-12 hrs sale or whatever. i was just surprised that it would change that much from 1:00 to 6:00 on the same day. So now i am thinking i should check 2x daily. Funny, i will check 2x a day for a month but when i am in Vegas, i think nothing of dropping the same $30 savings on wings and a couple of beers or losing it in a VP machine. But for 4 of us I guess it adds up. "betrlate"'s explanation makes sense. Thanks for the quick answers!

Argyle, Texas
Level Contributor
1,117 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Do some Southwest sales only last hours????!

I just had this happen to us. I was watching fares and they were great $118 each way, but I hesitated, and then they went up and stayed up for about a week. Toward the end of the week, I got nervous that they were just going to KEEP going up, so I booked. The next week they went down to $125 and I have rebooked both our flights, and even changed one to a different day. It was super easy. I wasn't worried about just getting credit back, because I know we will use it for our January trip. So sure, I technically overpaid for our flights, but at least I now have $80 to use for our January trip. I would suggest you wait another week or so, and see if they come down a little. November is a ways away, and there are sales that will be coming.

The one thing I have learned with SW though, as soon as you know exactly when you want to go - book as soon as you see a rate you like. If it goes down, you can always get credit for the difference. Don't be "greedy" (like I was) and just hope they will go down further ;)

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
37 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do some Southwest sales only last hours????!

Fares can fluctuate throughout the day, similar to the stock market, no "sale" involved. Not to say that the flight you saw wasn't on sale. Southwest flights on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and some Saturdays are typically cheaper than Friday and Sunday (and Monday) because it's less popular. I always check a couple times a day, especially late at night, and book as soon as I see something I can live with. Then I keep my eye out if the fare lowers and get the difference.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
520 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do some Southwest sales only last hours????!

I got burned (sort of) I booked with American or United (I forget) and did not notice there was a cancelation fee no matter when you cancel and saw one 20 dollar cheaper and could not cancel. Not a big deal, but just funny I didn't notice the fee when I double checked everything for the trip.

California
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
43,181 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do some Southwest sales only last hours????!

Btrl8"s reply is perfect. SWA will put a limited number of seats on sale for each flight, and when that number is sold the price is adjusted. Because of the option of switching to a lower rate on a ticket already booked, sale rates are often shot-lived. So many now know the SWA system and check rates daily, so those sale rates are often snapped up quickly.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
4,803 posts
361 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do some Southwest sales only last hours????!

The above seems to apply to most airlines, when I search for price and tickets, the only difference being the other major carriers charge huge change fees, so I am locked into that fare/flight, except with jet blue which gives a credit to your trueblue account for the difference in fare if it lowers the fare. With the Airlines computer model/program of pricing, sometimes the fares sell out and/or change hourly!