We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alamo vs Dollar vs Thrifty

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
De
Level Contributor
403 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Alamo vs Dollar vs Thrifty

Any pros or cons in using any of the above at Vegas Airport

Have booked Alamo (compact car got 2 weeks and 2 days - total $380 in Sept and used on-line check in feature so I by pass stopping at counter and go directly to shuttle for car

Periodically checking car rates, I noticed I can save $40 using Thrifty or Dollar - do either have similar program where you avoid stopping at the counter

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
378 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alamo vs Dollar vs Thrifty

We're renting from Dollar in July because they have the cheapest rates I can find. They have "Dollar Express" that you can join on line and you can avoid the counter. If you type in "dollar car rental" in the search box on this forum, you will read comprehensive posts regarding the process for picking up a car with Dollar.

Ohio
Level Contributor
553 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alamo vs Dollar vs Thrifty

Thrifty has some kind of "club" -- I forget the name but there is no cost -- that lets you go directly to the pick-up site. They have a separate area to go to outside the main building.

When I visited last April, I checked quickly at the airport desk while waiting for my bags and they told me to go straight to the lot. Once there, we walked through a gate leading to the lot and were told we had our pick of Jeep Commanders on the lot, of which there were several. Very easy process.

One warning, though: On returning the Jeep, I pulled up (at 6.a.m.), got out of the car, closed my door and went to get my bag out of the back seat. The door was locked. So I went back to open the front door and it was locked, too! There was another vehicle in front of me (a Dodge) that had "keys locked in car" written on windshield. A few minutes later, a guy driving a PT Cruiser had the same problem. These are all DaimlerChrysler vehicles, so beware.

Jersey
Level Contributor
31,600 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Alamo vs Dollar vs Thrifty

Thrifty's club is called Blue Chip. I have used Thrifty over 30 times and I never had a problem with them.

Jersey
Level Contributor
31,600 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Alamo vs Dollar vs Thrifty

No matter what company you use- keep checking the rates. They sometimes drop and then you can contact them for the lower rate or cancel and rebook. I did this twice with my last car rental.

Long Island,NY
Level Contributor
2,686 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Alamo vs Dollar vs Thrifty

We have used both Thrifty and Dollar- Dollar for the first time last month only because they are a Southwest partner and had double reward points for the rental and had a great price for our 5 day stay.

I never joined the Blue Chip or the Dollar Express and it has never really been an issue- on our Dollar rental we were 2nd in line at the counter on the airport, I had my reservation confirmation with me- walked out to the shuttle, at the lot in a few minutes. I had reserved a compact but there were none availabel when we got there so without any delay were were offered a Jeep Grand Cherokee at no additional charge( this often happens with Thrifty also which is why I never take the "you can upgrade for only a few dollars more per day" offer the reps always try to push on us at the counter. If only the size car we reserved was available it would be fine so why pay for the extra.

Like vp03 stated- always check back after you book -we caved over $30 by rebooking.

Austin, TX.
Level Contributor
4,889 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alamo vs Dollar vs Thrifty

Dollar and Alamo are about equal (and you get to choose the vehicle at each). I have some problems with Thrifty, typically they try to give you a one-class smaller vehicle than you rented, i.e. tryed to give me a small SUV (Suzuki somethingerother) instead of a full size SUV like an Explorer.

Northville, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,883 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alamo vs Dollar vs Thrifty

Join Dollar express

I tried Alamo, they scammed me at car pickup time, demanding I pay more for a 4-door instead of a 2 door...what rental agency would even buy 2-door????

Dollar has less pressure to buy extra insurance...get your preferences established with Dollar Express..and it's quick out, and back in

(not the kind of in-and-out i got from Alamo)

Northville, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,883 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Alamo vs Dollar vs Thrifty

If choosing between Alamo and dollar

Dollar, Dollar, Dollar, Dollar, Dollar, (etc)

uk
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Alamo vs Dollar vs Thrifty

we had problem with dollar thrifty. they offered us jeep cherokee when we had paid for luxury SUV. additionally we were fleeced for insurance that we did not require. it was included in our deal, but they convinced us otherwise.

took an over an hour for them to honour the deal. very frustrating when luxury SUV available & parked on forecourt. we were disgusted with the service & would never use again.

Fundamentally we protested on principle & anyway big difference between Expedition & Jeep Cherokee!

ATTLEBORO
Level Contributor
2,005 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Alamo vs Dollar vs Thrifty

Visitor...I booked a car thru Alamo online, but I didn't see any check-in feature. I've never heard of this, but apparently they all have it. Where did you find it? What did you have to do in order to use it? What were some of the questions...I'm wondering if I did do it, and just didn't know. I filled out a million questions, so I dont know. Is there a way to tell on the confirmation?

My rate was $158 for a full size (Pontiac G6, whatever that is) for a week. I used the code in ACG. Good luck, I hope you find a better rate!