We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I smell a SW systemwide sale coming up

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
canada
Level Contributor
349 posts
Save Topic
I smell a SW systemwide sale coming up

Anyone else notice the big jump in fares the last few days? Crafty marketing ploy marking something up before offering a 30% discount on fares over 1500mi. After the discount you end up paying only slightly less than the fare was before the mark-up/discount. These airlines are getting pretty sneaky. Let's see how this unfolds.

1. Re: I smell a SW systemwide sale coming up

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 03 June 2013, 13:35
Connecticut
Level Contributor
11,023 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I smell a SW systemwide sale coming up

I'll be very happy if I see $109 each way from the East Coast during the anniversary sale. Right now, I can get one leg @ $129, but I would prefer non-stop and to get to Vegas earlier than 8:30pm. The return flight is outrageously priced....biding my time for now.

Kenosha, WI
Level Contributor
11,961 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I smell a SW systemwide sale coming up

I got a pretty decent fare for the end of this month, but wouldn't complain if the fares go down even more. Bring it on!!!

Portsmouth, OH
Level Contributor
70 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: I smell a SW systemwide sale coming up

I've never flown SW and have been waiting for fares to drop for a flight at end of July. I'm thinking I've read that prices are the best on Tuesdays. Anyone know?

Kenosha, WI
Level Contributor
11,961 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I smell a SW systemwide sale coming up

The beauty of SW is that you can always rebook if the fare drops, and you will get a credit for the difference which can be used for a future flight within the next year. So, when the fare seems to be somewhat reasonable, go ahead and book it, and then watch the fares on a regular basis to see if they drop at all.

When I have a trip booked (as I do now), I set a reminder in my calendar for each morning to check the current fares. It takes less than a minute to do this each day.

Edited: 03 June 2013, 13:51
Portsmouth, OH
Level Contributor
70 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: I smell a SW systemwide sale coming up

The price has gone up about $100 in the past week. Shoulda booked then. Shoot. I will just keep my fingers crossed and keep checking.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
156 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: I smell a SW systemwide sale coming up

I hope you're right about the Anniversary Sale! We can't wait....got our dates of travel ready!!

I hope someone will post the sale when they see it happening. We usually get an email from SW about sales, but I'd really hate to miss it.

Kenosha, WI
Level Contributor
11,961 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I smell a SW systemwide sale coming up

You will need the e-mail, because it usually includes a code to use for the discount.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
11,023 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I smell a SW systemwide sale coming up

No. You won't need the email or a code for the anniversary sale. At least, you have never had to for the last several years for this sale.

Schertz, Texas
Level Contributor
1,170 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: I smell a SW systemwide sale coming up

I check everyday to see if any drop in fares. I booked flights for 19 and 22 Jul over a month ago. A couple of days later, my outgoing flight went up by $34.......No change on the return until this morning...that, also up $34. However, I will still check at least twice a day because I have seen them drop drastically before and only for a few hours sometimes.....I subscribe to Ding also but I can't remember the last time I saw any reduced fares there for SAT to LAS.