We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does the $20 trick work ??

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
310 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Does the $20 trick work ??

Just hearing about this $20 trick ! staying at the Bellagio fountainview later in the year and whats the chances of a comp upgrade ?? l honestly think ld be insulting the checkin staff with $20 ... NO ??

Would love to know if anyone has tried it and how they got on :)

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
4,772 posts
336 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Does the $20 trick work ??

This website may be of some interest/help to you....

thetwentydollartrick.com/Hotels/Bellagio.html

delaware
Level Contributor
311 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Does the $20 trick work ??

For me the $20 trick is cheesy and I won't do it; however, I will tip the clerk with an upgrade. A smiling face and positive attitude do wonders.

Kenosha, WI
Level Contributor
11,965 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Does the $20 trick work ??

If you try it and get an upgrade, it works. If you try it and you don't get an upgrade, it doesn't work. Whether or not you get upgraded has more to do with current availability at check-in than how much you try to bribe the clerk. For every person that gets an upgraded room using the $20 gamble, I am sure there are at least 2 who have gotten an upgrade without the bribe.

I simply stirke up a conversation with the person who is checking me in, and in the process ask about any complementary upgrades. I have never offered any money up front, and have been upgraded a few times.

There is also the Jedi Mind Trick, which I haven't quite mastered yet.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
554 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Does the $20 trick work ??

I don't think it works? Free upgrades are based on occupancy level at the time of your stay - if they have lots of rooms available - you most likely will receive without the bribe or trick....

I always ask if they have any free upgrades available at the time - if they do - then I give the front desk a tip

Edited: 11 June 2013, 20:07
Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
310 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Does the $20 trick work ??

Well it can't hurt to try ... personally l don't see any difference in the $20 trick and the " however, I will tip the clerk with an upgrade" lol ... Tip , bribe surely the same difference :)

I do think $20 is a bit mean tho ....

California
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
42,400 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Does the $20 trick work ??

Possible Yes, likely No. Because you've already booked the Lakeview, you are already probably at the top of that room class. Had you booked another view they could have upgraded you to lakeview (same room better view). But of course you would then have taken the risk of not getting the view you want.

Bellagio does have some mini-suites, but they are almost certainly a higher room class. So you are not likely to be moved up to these. Also Consider This: If the clerk offers you a slightly larger room without the Lake View would you really want it?

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
4,988 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Does the $20 trick work ??

No, it doesn't hurt to try. I hope you come back and let us know how it worked out for you.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
13,849 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Does the $20 trick work ??

You don't see the difference between a tip (a thank-you for a service rendered) and a bribe (given in advance, in hope of influencing someone to do something they otherwise might not do)?

My unscientific recollection is that I'm just as successful getting upgraded if I offer the bribe as if I just am pleasant and ask politely. YMMV.

Kenosha, WI
Level Contributor
11,965 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Does the $20 trick work ??

A good thing to keep in mind is to be aware of just what room types are available at the property you are staying at versus the room you have booked. You could just as well be offered a different room that really isn't an upgrade in reality and not even know it. Sometimes it even helps if you are specific about which room type you would like to be upgraded to.

La Jolla, California
Level Contributor
605 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Does the $20 trick work ??

I vote no.