We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Treasure Island - Which part of the hotel to request?

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Perth
Level Contributor
137 posts
Save Topic
Treasure Island - Which part of the hotel to request?

Hello, first timers to Las Vegas travelling from Perth, Western Australia. We will be there in early September. We are wondering if there are any parts of the hotel we should request when checking in? Any parts to avoid?

Thanks.

Paul and Kylie

California
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
41,345 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Treasure Island - Which part of the hotel to request?

This is one of the easiest choices in Las Vegas. You want a room facing south down the strip. It is the best southern view of of any hotel on the Strip. But know that this is an upgrade and may cost extra.

Perth
Level Contributor
137 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Treasure Island - Which part of the hotel to request?

Thanks Ktinca....how much approximately would I be looking at for the upgrade?

California
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
41,345 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Treasure Island - Which part of the hotel to request?

OK, I have to be careful here. We stayed at TI in Dec 2011, on an incredibly busy weekend (both Rodeo and Marathon). We were upgraded for free. Here's the problem; I ALWAYS tip desk clerks. Some think this might be the reason for the upgrade, others want to believe it doesn't matter. You will have to decide for yourself.

But be aware that there are a lot of these rooms so upgrades will often be possible. The price difference would normally be $15-$20 per night.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Reno
Level Contributor
4,128 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Treasure Island - Which part of the hotel to request?

If the south view rooms are otherwise the same as the others, this is a case where I would try greasing the clerk $20 for the upgrade, unless you want to pay more ahead and be guaranteed the view. Also, if you can join their slot club online before arriving, it might help. I might also contact a host beforehand, but this works better if I've had a history there, which I don't.

Edited: 25 June 2013, 05:52
California
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
41,345 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Treasure Island - Which part of the hotel to request?

FWIW: There are only three views that I ever recommend anyone pay extra for in Las Vegas, even though I wouldn't myself. This view from TI, the Strip View from Mandalay Bay, and the Fountain View from Bellagio. IMO any other view isn't worth paying for.

Perth
Level Contributor
137 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Treasure Island - Which part of the hotel to request?

What approach should be taken with "greasing the clerk"...?

We are from Australia where tipping does not exist. I have no problem with it at all but dont want it to be an awkward situation. Do I have over my reservation paperwork with a $20 note?..and ask is it possible to have a southern view?

Something like that?

Or is it more sublte than that..?

Wheat Ridge...
Level Contributor
5,871 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Treasure Island - Which part of the hotel to request?

As the new AT&T ads say, "its not complicated". Say "would it be possible to get a south facing room on a high floor?" If they say "I'm sorry, but none of those rooms are available" say "thanks for checking." If they say (after tapping on their keyboard for a bit) "yes, I think I have something you might like" the hand the clerk a $20.

I don't bother with any reservation paperwork, for that matter. Walk up and say "hi, I have a reservation" and hand over your ID and credit card. The paperwork is only needed if there's an issue.

Wheat Ridge...
Level Contributor
5,871 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Treasure Island - Which part of the hotel to request?

In case they don't have these ads in Australia, here's a sample:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cdqiH2OM34

Perth
Level Contributor
137 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Treasure Island - Which part of the hotel to request?

Thanks again for the info Wheatie59! Would i need to clarify that i dont want to pay a whole lot.more for an upgrade. On top of the tip i mean....

Connecticut
Level Contributor
10,997 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Treasure Island - Which part of the hotel to request?

We've stayed at TI four times in the last couple of years. We've never bribed upfront, or tipped after the fact. They gave us a south facing, high floor, Strip view twice, the other two times we faced Trump, Fashion Show Mall, etc.

If you don't want the noise of the Siren's Show, then don't just say "Strip View", you need to be specific and say "south Strip view"

The rooms are clean, but drab, no matter where you end up. Word of warning about the North facing rooms...there's a 100+ car freight train that passes through at least once a day, with a lot of whistle blowing going on. Bring earplugs, just in case.

Have you applied the "MYTI" promo code to your dates? Without knowing your specific dates, I used 9/5-9/10 to do a dummy reservation. All dollar amounts do not include tax or resort fees: King $481, King View $623, 2 Queen $517, 2 Queen View $588. As you may notice the price is not significantly higher if you reserve the view room in advance, and in turn will get exactly what you want without worrying if the $20 trick-bribe will work, or not.

Incidentally, I have been able to opt out of the resort fees each and every stay, and I have had a choice as to whether , or not, I wanted the capability to leave a credit card for incidental charges to the room.