We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Book now or hold out? Travelling from London

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
london
Level Contributor
264 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Book now or hold out? Travelling from London

Hello There,

So my husband and I are planning to head out to Vegas on 26th July. We have our leave confirmed with work and reservations with Planet Hollywood.

I've been watching the flights with Virgin and they're particularly high- around £930.

So, (and I know no one has the answer to this or can tell me what will happen) but would you book now and just accept they're more pricey than usual or.. Considering there are 4 weeks to go, give it a few weeks and hope they go down? An acquaintance of mine works for virgin and said that the flights are so high right now because of school holidays and that the plane isn't even that booked up, so that gives me hope they may go down.

Thanks guys x

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
18,624 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Book now or hold out? Travelling from London

"Considering there are 4 weeks to go, give it a few weeks and hope they go down?" - In all probability you should have bought weeks or months ago as the cheapest fare buckets will have already sold out. By leaving it this late to book you'll always pay a high price. BA have just started a sale with fares from £565 for early next year but July 2013 prices are from £925.

You might be able to save some money with indirect flights if you're happy to spend more time travelling.

Norfolk England
Level Contributor
5,825 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Book now or hold out? Travelling from London

Hi

I can say its as rare as hens teeth to find a cheap flight from the UK in July just about anywhere and certainly not to LAS. I personally would not pay that much for a ticket. try kayak and see who is giving the best price for your dates. You could save a whole bunch of money with a stop, which I would do. Just make sure you allow enough time to get through immigration at the stop, I prefer at least 2 hours for a connection. You will of course have a speedy exit at LAS as you will fly in on a domestic flight.

Clive

ENGLAND
Level Contributor
1,706 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Book now or hold out? Travelling from London

Unfortunately the end of July and beginning of August are the most expensive time of the year to fly to most places, and especially Vegas.

Factory fortnight and school holiday are a bad combination for cheap flights.

Even most indirect flights are around $900 or more.

The Virgin prices have not altered for months, so doubt they will go down in the coming weeks, unless they are virtually empty, and they get desperate.

As stated in a previous post, BA have a few flights costing around $825, but that leaving and departing on certain days like Thursdays.

Good Luck.

Edited: 28 June 2013, 11:46
ENGLAND
Level Contributor
1,706 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Book now or hold out? Travelling from London

Those dollar signs should be pounds.

I wish they were that price...lol.

Norfolk England
Level Contributor
5,825 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Book now or hold out? Travelling from London

Hi

Check out Virgin, I think they have a sale on but don't know if it covers your dates (unlikely I think)

Clive

Stevenage, United...
Level Contributor
1,935 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Book now or hold out? Travelling from London

No, the sale is for sept and later. Just booked for sept - £740!!

Brighton
Level Contributor
4,030 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Book now or hold out? Travelling from London

BA have an offer via Travelzoo in their sale - 5 nights at PH, inc return flight for £939. Not sure about longer stays but worth checking out. The flights alone are coming up at £795.

Edited: 28 June 2013, 22:08
Level Contributor
257 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Book now or hold out? Travelling from London

I booked with BA on Wed for 18th July

Cost was £790, but a day either side was like £200 more...??

uk
Level Contributor
101 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Book now or hold out? Travelling from London

Personally I have never known flights go down especially to somewhere like vegas at that time of year, I was always under the impression flights were sold in blocks of seats that continued to rise as more were sold, that's what virgins fare type is within a certain class,

Personally I wouldn't pay that, I am going with virgin but not until November this year,(heat has been too much last 2 years) paid £630..

Maybe try indirect as people have mentioned, good luck!

Orange County...
Level Contributor
7,839 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Book now or hold out? Travelling from London

You've held out too long already...