We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The heat and flying in to Vegas from the UK

Sunderland, United...
Level Contributor
354 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
The heat and flying in to Vegas from the UK

Seems to be quite hot in Vegas, flying out tuesday, getting a lot of press here in the UK on how hot it is and may effect flights, is this just the good old old british media or can the heat effect flights.

Mentioned in this post
Special Offer
Grand Canyon All-American Helicopter...
6,641 Reviews
from US$399.99*
US$520.00
Grand Canyon West Rim and Hoover Dam...
5,130 Reviews
from US$142.99*
Special Offer
Grand Canyon 4-in-1 Helicopter Tour
917 Reviews
from US$598.99*
US$650.00
Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: The heat and flying in to Vegas from the UK

We are travelling to Vegas today.

From gatwick

Delayed 1 hour

Sitting at gatwick now

Hurrrrryyyyy up

Now going to gate 21!!!

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
28,466 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: The heat and flying in to Vegas from the UK

The heat can affect flights but other than a little turbulence on take off and landing rarely does. Today should be the hottest day with temperatures expected to hit 117 (yesterday was 115), and then expected to gradually cool down, but stay warmer than normal. By the end of next week it won't be too bad the forecast says 105 degrees next Sat.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,492 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The heat and flying in to Vegas from the UK

On your way over should be no problem.

Most heat related issues are on departure from "hot and high" airports where temperature, humidity, elevation, weight/load, runway length, and flight distance (for fuel requirement) all have an impact on the aircraft's ability to take off.

Even in the extreme heat, LAS benefits from having long runways and being only 2400' AMSL.This gives even the largest, fully-loaded aircraft safe operating parameters.

I have seen a post or two here over the years where a return flight to the U.K. advised passengers that because of the heat and the load, they could not take on maximum fuel for the crossing, so a fuel stop was planned in advance.

All in the name of safety.... relax and have a wonderful trip !!!!

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,682 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The heat and flying in to Vegas from the UK

I talked with a pilot recently during my travels. Planes prefer cooler temperatures for operation, but many pilots are experienced in flying into LAS and know how to compensate for the extreme temperatures.

Iowa
Level Contributor
10,358 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The heat and flying in to Vegas from the UK

The extreme heat makes for thin air and effects aircraft lift. Usually smaller planes are effected more so than large aircraft.

Edited: 29 June 2013, 14:12
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
764 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The heat and flying in to Vegas from the UK

They were experiencing extreme heat when I was there at the start of the month we didn't have any problems with flights , please though drink plenty of water I was advised to do this and it is sound advice it is such a dry heat you really need to keep hydrated , hope you have a fantastic time

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,780 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The heat and flying in to Vegas from the UK

Flying aside, when you're here it's more than staying hydrated. Keep your skin covered and cool, too. Long, loose light colors will assist in keeping you cool.

You can drink all the water in the world and your body still may not be able to compensate. I've seen 'hydrated' people go down from heat because drinking water just was not enough.

Dallas
Level Contributor
25,166 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The heat and flying in to Vegas from the UK

The pilot has a vested interest in the performance of the aircraft, and he knows what he is doing and the impact the heat has on performance.

Leave it up to him.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
8,557 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The heat and flying in to Vegas from the UK

Yes, pilots undergo intense training on safety and the advice of co-pilots and the many other resources at their disposal since the disaster at Tenerife.

Dallas
Level Contributor
25,166 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The heat and flying in to Vegas from the UK

Breeze ? Tenerife ? You got me on how that has to do with the heat.

Actually, engineers have rigorously calculated temperature, altitude, weight, take off distances, and all other factors that are taken into consideration for aircraft performance. These are used to determine allowable weight, take off roll distance and climb rates for every possibility, and are used to make decisions for every aircraft.

Don't sweat it !! (Pun intended)