We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Twenty Dollar Trick

Concord NC
Level Contributor
538 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Twenty Dollar Trick

I have heard a lot about the 20 dollar trick. We are staying at Planet Hollywood in September and I am going to try it this year. We were comped a Hollywood Hip room and I want to know if I should try for certain type of room or just ask for a upgrade. If I ask for a certain type of room what would be considered a upgrade.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,668 posts
332 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Twenty Dollar Trick

You can sometimes get a room upgrade without bribery if you ask nicely.

Lahaina, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Twenty Dollar Trick

When my room is comped I know they will assign the best one at my level, and offer a fast check in, to-boot.

It's when my room isn't comped that I employ the $20 trick.

Rancho Cucamonga
Level Contributor
9,481 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Twenty Dollar Trick

It can and does work on comp rooms all the time. Try it, if it doesnt work, at least the poor guy gets a little tip.

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
239 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Twenty Dollar Trick

It does work! I placed a $50 at the bellagio check in counter and the service host REFUSED to accept it until he could do the best by us.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,779 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Twenty Dollar Trick

I've gotten upgrades free.......ask them if they accept tips and THEN reward them if they do.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
242 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Twenty Dollar Trick

You SHOULD ask for a specific room. Find a higher one that you like and ask if they have a complimentary upgrade to that. You were comped so you obviously earned it and they want you back at their property. If not, you will still probably get something better. Good luck and have fun!

Pleasant Hill...
Level Contributor
4 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Twenty Dollar Trick

I did it at planet Hollywood last year and it worked.

good luck

Rowlett, Texas
Level Contributor
955 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Twenty Dollar Trick

Its worth it. Its the second gamble i make every trip. If i get the upgrade, i win. If not, oh well, the rep still keeps the tip. No doubt i would have lost that 20 at a slot somewhere anyway.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Reno
Level Contributor
4,184 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Twenty Dollar Trick

I try it about half the time. The other times I just politely ask. But I always know specifically what I want. I've even asked for such things as a bathroom with two sinks(Wife loves that), since I know only the upgrade rooms have that, in most places.

If I went more than twice a year, and gambled mostly at one place, I'd just get to know a host that can do all that for me.

Fort Wayne, Indiana
Level Contributor
281 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Twenty Dollar Trick

I would give them $20 and request a resort or resort vista strip view room. If you only need one bed tell them and you will likely get a resort vista. Both have more windows and double vanities.