We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car hire from the UK

London
Level Contributor
138 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
car hire from the UK

I want to hire a car this time but all the websites seem to offer different levels of cover.

I don't want to pay one price upfront and then get stung for lots of extras when I try to pick the car up.

The offer I have seen so far is through ALAMO and includes:

•Air conditioning, automatic transmission, unlimited mileage, Collision & Damage Waiver, Theft Protection, Third-Party Liability Insurance, City/Airport Surcharges, Road Tax, VAT/Tax, Additional Liability Insurance for the U.S. and Canada.

•Ford Escape or similar, 5 adults, 2 large suitcases, 1 small carry-on, 4 doors

Is there anything else that I will need or that they will try to sell me

New Orleans
Level Contributor
167 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: car hire from the UK

How are you going to drive a car from London to Vegas?

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
937 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car hire from the UK

You have everything you need right there. They will additionally try to sell you breakdown cover, personal effects cover, and possibly rental of a GPS unit. They will also try and sell you an option to return the car empty and they will refuel. We've always found better value to decline that and return the car full.

It's quite straightforward to just say no thanks to the extras - just pay attention to the places where the ask you to initial and sign on the rental agreement - the detail is there for your benefit, take time to read it and all will go smoothly!

New Orleans
Level Contributor
167 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: car hire from the UK

I can't think of anything else except to remember to return the car with a full tank. You seem to have the big issues covered - unlimited mileage and insurance. Check to see if your credit card offers automatic insurance becasue then maybe you could save on that, unless it's part of the bundle.

Devon
Level Contributor
85 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car hire from the UK

A sat nav would be very handy, we didn't originally book one when we rented a mustang for a few days but I thought I would splash out after a nice win on a slot- we would have been very lost without it.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
937 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: car hire from the UK

I'm an old-fashioned kinda gal.... I travel with maps :D

Norfolk England
Level Contributor
5,825 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: car hire from the UK

Hi

Agree with all the others except on the sat nav. So expensive to rent. Although we do tour every year I still think it is worth buying your own and taking it with you. You should have broke even in about 2 weeks of renting after that your in pocket, plus of course (well the one I bought) it also covers all europe.

Clive

London, United...
Level Contributor
475 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: car hire from the UK

Don't even consider driving without a GPS ( sat nav ). They will offer one for about $10 a day. I don't know how long your rental is but probably best to bring your own and download the USA map beforehand in the UK or buy a 2nd hand GPS. I got a 2nd hand Tom Tom with USA and Canada maps for $32 in EZ Pawn near Fremont St. Would have been lost without it. But if you are picking up the car on arrival have the GPS already to plug in at the airport. Also it's cheaper to pick up a full tank of fuel and return it full.

stockport
Level Contributor
511 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: car hire from the UK

Take a look at Dollar.co.uk. We always use them. Seem to come out cheapest. Never get hassled for any upgrades.

London, United...
Level Contributor
475 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: car hire from the UK

I rented a car from Alamo through rentalcars.com at LAS for 3.5 wks and they did suggest an upgrade from the cheapest car i had agreed to as i was going long distance and out of state. Agent said he would throw in more protection etc and i agreed. Glad i upgraded as it was a lovely car and i drove 9000 miles! Doubled the mileage on the clock. More comfortable, faster and better audio which is important to me as i like my music full blast. Just wish the radio signals between cities wasn't so awful.

stockport
Level Contributor
511 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: car hire from the UK

I agree to upgrading to a better car if you are driving lots of miles. However, I bet it would be cheaper to do it this end, rather than at the airport