We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive to West Rim for Skywalk then on to Tusayan

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
237 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Drive to West Rim for Skywalk then on to Tusayan

My friends are keen to do the skywalk so we are planning to drive there from Vegas then on to Tusayan to stay the night before spending the next day and night at the Grand Canyon. Is this as straight forward as it seems to someone living thousands of miles away? Suggestions welcome. We are booked for a helicopter ride after Tusayan and then an overnight stay in the park. Would Hoover Dam be a viable stop on the return journey to LV?

Special Offer
Grand Canyon Helicopter Tour with...
6,547 reviews
from US$399.99*
US$520.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim and Hoover Dam...
4,999 reviews
from US$142.99*
US$224.90
Special Offer
Grand Canyon Skywalk Skip-the-Line...
385 reviews
from US$499.99*
US$541.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim Luxury...
347 reviews
from US$299.99*
US$399.00
Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive to West Rim for Skywalk then on to Tusayan

Not sure exactly what you're asking in the first part. You Aussies are as hard to understand when you type as when you speak. As for the second part, YES Hoover Dam is a viable and some would say necessary stop. Make sure you walk across both the dam and the bypass bridge.

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
237 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive to West Rim for Skywalk then on to Tusayan

Sorry for the Aussie speak. Can we do the Skywalk and then drive to Tusayan in the same day? Starting from LV of course.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive to West Rim for Skywalk then on to Tusayan

Yes, it will be a LONG day of driving, but it can be done. Go to: http://www.thecanyon.com/west-rim-directions Click on "Skywalk directions" and scroll down to where it shows directions from Las Vegas to get there, then reverse the directions from South Rim. Normally it's 4.5 - 5 hours from Las Vegas, adding in the Skywalk (I'm estimating) will add 4 hours to the drive not counting how much time you spend at the Skywalk.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive to West Rim for Skywalk then on to Tusayan

I hear the skywalk is a total rip off...when busy, you can not stand and enjoy the view...they push you through. i'd reconsider that.

5. Re: Drive to West Rim for Skywalk then on to Tusayan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 July 2014, 06:21