We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What sort of budget if you're not really gambling?

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
101 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
What sort of budget if you're not really gambling?

Hi, OH and I are doing 10 days in Vegas in June. Airfare, 10 nights accom (5 nights MGM Grand & 5 nights Palazzo), transfers, shows and excursions will have been paid in advance. We're not big gamblers and certainly not high-rollers, so what kind of budget can we get away with?

I'd hope to bring about £1000 each (around $1500 at the moment), so we'd have $3000 between us for the 10 nights, around $300 per day. Is this feasible? I've heard people mentioning $50 blackjack tables, we certainly won't be betting that high.

Are there still gambling options for those of us who want to play low? In the UK, you can bet as low as £1 at a blackjack table, and play slots for 20p at the arcades. I'd have way more fun doing that than playing high. And do you still get comped drinks if you're not throwing big bucks around?

The way I see it, our $300 a day will cover drinks, dinners and any other things we want to do (seeing as the likes of Stratosphere tower, Battlefield, Goreatorium have been budgeted outwith the $3000). Will we still be able to enjoy ourselves on that amount?

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
19,093 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What sort of budget if you're not really gambling?

You can certainly do Las Vegas on $300 per day or less but lots of people will spend more. The key will probably be your dining choices as 2 could eat for as little as $50 per day but you could easily spend $300 on a single meal at a high end restaurant.

You'll find slots from as little as 1p upwards and table games from as low as $10 depending where you are staying and as long as your gambling you'll still get "free" drinks but remember to tip the cocktail waitress (a minimum of $1 per drink).

I would recommend deciding on how much you intend to gamble and keep that separate from the rest of your budget - when you've spent that day's gambling budget don't dip into your other budget or you could find yourself going hungry towards the end of your stay.

Sturgeon Bay...
Level Contributor
5,566 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What sort of budget if you're not really gambling?

We will take 300per day between us. We pre-pay the hotel,shows and transportion. We play the slots off and on every day but it doesnt amount to much. The 300dollars is more then enough for us. We eat modestly and may do one nice restaurant. Quite often we will buy tickets while there for a cheap afternoon show or two. I would say 150 dollars per day per person is enough to have a good time. Take more if you do more gambling or wish to see more evening shows. Have fun

Ottawa
Level Contributor
979 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What sort of budget if you're not really gambling?

That is plenty of money to enjoy yourself -- you will very quickly in the first day or two get a better sense of what your food budget allows, entertainment, etc. But $300/day for a couple is very, very good. Especially if you think about some variation -- there will be quiet days where you might "just" spend $100, leaving you more another day...

Cedar Rapids, Iowa...
Level Contributor
1,761 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What sort of budget if you're not really gambling?

It all depends on your eating habits (as it sounds like you might just gamble a little with what's left over in a day). For 2 people in LV, you can spend anywhere from $15-$250 on a meal, so it just depends on where and what you want to eat.

There are $5 blackjack tables and $5 craps tables (depending on time/day/location) and $.01 slots all over LV.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
171 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What sort of budget if you're not really gambling?

About 1500 each day, I'm never "really gambling" by the way.

Walt Disney World...
Level Contributor
571 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What sort of budget if you're not really gambling?

you can do Vegas very comfortably on that budget, depending on how much you are expecting to gamble on. Some food price points...

mall court food can be had for about $6 out the door

you can stroll into a pretty good sushi spot like Sushi Samba, and order about $25 worth of basic sushi rolls (including tip)...my wife and i were full

if you skip drinks, you can do some very nice dinners at about $100-$150

OKC
Level Contributor
770 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: What sort of budget if you're not really gambling?

Just be careful on saying you don't gamble much because Vegas has a way of making you gamble more. I mean the free drinks the party scene. That dopamine in your head really gets going in Vegas. Just don't carry all your money with you leave some of it in your room safe. What I do is, if I am there for 3 days and I bring 1500.00 with me I get 3 envelopes on mark them day 1, day 2,etc. I leave then envelopes in the safe and won't get them out until the appropriate day. Sometimes I still have envolopes I come home with. It makes for a better trip.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
101 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What sort of budget if you're not really gambling?

KPFS35, that would equate to £10,000 for the trip, that's a year of mortgage payments for me! Unfortunately there's not much chance of stretching to that budget...

Tempe, AZ
Level Contributor
10,341 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What sort of budget if you're not really gambling?

Don't forget to budget for tips. Thanks.

OKC
Level Contributor
770 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: What sort of budget if you're not really gambling?

Boxingjohn as a poker dealer I totally agree with you lol