We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Specific instructions to taxi driver - McCarran to Harrah's?

N.E. Indiana
Level Contributor
304 posts
Save Topic
Specific instructions to taxi driver - McCarran to Harrah's?

I'm staying at Harrah's in 3 weeks. The last time I stayed there, I told the taxi driver at McCarran, "no tunnel please". He didn't take the tunnel but sure seemed to make a lot of left and right turns on the way, so maybe he still long-hauled me even without using the tunnel. (I don't remember the fare, which would have been a good indication of whether he long-hauled me.)

Looking at Google maps, it looks like the most direct route is Swenson to Harmon to Koval, and then a left onto an un-named street that goes near the back entrance of Harrah's. But maybe I am over- simplifying and it isn't really that simple.

What specific directions should I give to the driver?

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,199 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Specific instructions to taxi driver - McCarran to Harrah's?

www.taxifarefinder.com/main.php?city=LV

Go to this site and figure out what your fare should be. Tell the driver to take the cheapest route. No need for detailed instructions. If the fare is a lot higher then you think it should be, you can call the taxi authority, if it's a big deal to you.

N.E. Indiana
Level Contributor
304 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Specific instructions to taxi driver - McCarran to Harrah's?

I understand your point, but I'd prefer to avoid a potential confrontation at the end of the ride by proactively attempting to discourage the driver from long-hauling by providing specific instructions. (I know the difference in cost between being long-hauled or not is small, relative to the total cost of the trip, but I just don't like the idea of being ripped off. I'd rather loose the money gambling.)

North Cape May, Nj
Level Contributor
8,842 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Specific instructions to taxi driver - McCarran to Harrah's?

", I told the taxi driver at McCarran, "no tunnel please". He didn't take the tunnel but sure seemed to make a lot of left and right turns on the way, so maybe he still long-hauled me even without using the tunnel. (I don't remember the fare, which would have been a good indication of whether he long-hauled me"

Maybe. Maybe not. Excellent thread. Do you have more? Please share with us anything else that you don't know. Should be a lot.

4. Re: Specific instructions to taxi driver - McCarran to Harrah's?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2013, 12:12
Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,310 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Specific instructions to taxi driver - McCarran to Harrah's?

Dealer pretty much sums it up.

N.E. Indiana
Level Contributor
304 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Specific instructions to taxi driver - McCarran to Harrah's?

Thanks, everyone.

Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Specific instructions to taxi driver - McCarran to Harrah's?

Would that be the same for flamingo and can you get dropped off right at the hotel entrance with the construction work. Thanks.

8. Re: Specific instructions to taxi driver - McCarran to Harrah's?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 August 2014, 06:20