We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using hotel pool using las stays room key

Brighton
Level Contributor
781 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Using hotel pool using las stays room key

Hi, now I know some of you are prob rolling your eyes but hear me out...

We have a massive collection of old room keys and they only one I know that checked if it was valid was the Wynn/encore. We're staying at the elara for a week in oct and the pool is decent enough but know its not one of the better ones.

Has anyone used another hotels pool before using an old key card? Any issues?

California
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
42,684 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Using hotel pool using las stays room key

Don't forget that hotels change the pictures on keys frequently.

Mission, Canada
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Using hotel pool using las stays room key

Never have, never will.

California
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
42,684 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Using hotel pool using las stays room key

You know the pool is important to us, and we wouldn't book a hotel with a pool we didn't like during pool season. But I do have a suggestion:

I realize Mandalay Bay might be a little expensive, but why don't you book a room at Flamingo on a weekday, just to use the pool in comfort?

Cheektowaga
Level Contributor
3,541 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Using hotel pool using las stays room key

Why hear you out? Stay where they have a nicer pool plain and simple

NC
Level Contributor
2,498 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Using hotel pool using las stays room key

And if you do sneak into a pool at a hotel you're not saying at, Please don't snag loungers and umbrellas etc. Those of us paying to stay there appreciate being able to get one.

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
33,862 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Using hotel pool using las stays room key

I'm sure your plan would work at some places and fail at others. But perhaps give a little consideration to people who choose a hotel with its pool as an important factor and decide not to put it to the test.

Omaha
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Using hotel pool using las stays room key

It's an interesting idea, but I've never heard of anybody doing it. They probably change the key cards pretty frequently though since it'd be the first time I've heard anybody mention it. I assume some locals/frequent travelers would be able to get away with it often if the old keys worked for very long.

Seattle
Level Contributor
2,114 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Using hotel pool using las stays room key

Sorry, but I think that's tacky. I would either call ahead to see if there is a fee I could pay to use a particular pool or stick with the pool where I was staying. IMO, it's not fair for other (paying) customers to have to scour for a lounger because you're working the system.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
784 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Using hotel pool using las stays room key

Thanks, Echo. Yes, "tacky" was the word I was looking for. It's bad enough that people "save" loungers around the pool for hours on end, never mind guests from other properties sneaking in and taking up space as well. You might get away with it but why not do the proper thing and book your stay according to what pool you want to use?

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,663 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Using hotel pool using las stays room key

No, I've never done that and never would consider doing it. If it's summertime, I made sure that I'm staying at a place with a terrific pool. You should do the same.

Edited: 02 August 2013, 17:52