We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hoover Dam with 11 and 14 year old

Bloomington-Normal...
Level Contributor
83 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Hoover Dam with 11 and 14 year old

Since we will be in Vegas for a week we WILL be going to see the Hoover Dam. My questions is...should we drive ourselves or go with a tour company? If we should go with a tour company which do you recommend for the 4 of us? What would be the advantages of NOT driving ourselves? There are so many tour companies our there....it's rather overwhelming to know who to go with? I appreciate any and all help!

Thanks

Norfolk England
Level Contributor
5,825 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hoover Dam with 11 and 14 year old

Hi

Cant think of any advantage of buying a tour when you have a car. Self drive and then you can also go to Boulder City. There is a nice little museum about the dam in the Boulder hotel. I thought it was easier go round that than the one at the dam and unless they have changed it, it was free.

Clive

Wailuku, Hawaii
Level Contributor
855 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hoover Dam with 11 and 14 year old

We drove our self then took a boat tour of the dam that included brunch. We really enjoyed that.

www.lakemeadcruises.com/desertprincess.html

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
372 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hoover Dam with 11 and 14 year old

I would rent a car (at least for the day for the Hoover dam trip) because it gives you a lot more flexability. I know today's teens most likely have never seen a pinball machine, but you kids might enjoy an hour or so at the Pinball Museum (you actually get to play the machines, just bring some quarters along). I guess I'm a big kid at heart, but a couple of years ago my brother and I were on our way back from a little side trip and stopped in. I'm in my forties and still loved kicking my brothers behind on the air hockey table.

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hoover Dam with 11 and 14 year old

My kids were a similar age when we visited - they enjoyed it. We had a car, and found it convenient rather than paying for a tour.

K30
Cornwall
Level Contributor
704 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hoover Dam with 11 and 14 year old

I am in agreement with the others - rent a car.

Bloomington-Normal...
Level Contributor
83 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hoover Dam with 11 and 14 year old

Is the pinball museum on the way to or from Hoover Dam? My kids would love that....so would WE as parents!

While the paddlewheel ride sounds fun....isn't it REALLY HOT in Aug. at the dam? Or would we be cooler on the boat?

We do have a car rented for the week so I guess we'll drive ourselves from everyone's consensus. THANKS

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
372 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hoover Dam with 11 and 14 year old

I would do the Hoover Dam trip in the morning before things get unbearably hot, and then eat lunch in Boulder or Henderson (we usually stop at one of the last remaining A&W (love the root beer in a frosted glass mug) (which you pass on the highway to the dam). I would visit the Pinball Museum on the way back. Here is the link: pinballmuseum.org

As I said above, I really enjoyed the museum. It is in a way amazing to me that something once so ubiquitous when I was growing up (found at the 7-11, bowling alley, bus station, arcade, tavern, etc), and now almost no place to be found.

Edited: 04 August 2013, 19:08
Bloomington-Normal...
Level Contributor
83 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hoover Dam with 11 and 14 year old

perfect! Thanks so much for the info.! Our family will LOVE the pinball place and the A & W and the Dam tour I'm sure! We'll be sure to head out early due to the heat!

Thanks again!!

Bloomington-Normal...
Level Contributor
83 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hoover Dam with 11 and 14 year old

I see that the Tour is $30 and lasts an hour for the Hoover Dam Tour and includes the power plant and visitors center. Having never been there...is there a better way to do this tour? The first tour leaves at 9:30--so should one arrive at 9 buy tickets a get straight onto that tour OR should one purchase the tour tickets, see the visitors center FIRST then take the TOUR? I'm sure someone has an idea for the best way to tackle this 1/2 day excursion. We DO plan to leave Vegas early...by 8 or so. Thank you in advance for any help!!

florida
Level Contributor
1,284 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hoover Dam with 11 and 14 year old

Do the tour first. It does fill up as the day goes on and you will have to wait for your 'time slot'. Also, you can only do most of the visitor centers after purchasing the tour tickets, so no reason to wait.

Again, leave early to avoid traffic on the road to the dam (it does back up) as well as beating the midday heat in the summer