We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking over a year in advance

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
166 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Booking over a year in advance

Hi guys,

We are trying to book our honeymoon in September 2014, because I have been to Vegas a good few times I'm trying to build the fortnight myself rather than use a travel agent. We are trying to get everything sorted ASAP so we can just relax during the build up to the big day. Anyway my questions are; when will hotels & airlines release their Sept 2014 prices and will I get better value doing it this way or do travel agents get better deals? Our travel agent would probably be Virgin Holidays or Thomson here in the UK.

Thanks,

Neil

Norfolk England
Level Contributor
5,825 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booking over a year in advance

Hi

You will get a better deal diy but you cant do it so far in advance.

Flights will be released for September 2014 this October and you MAY find a good price then but most probably not. Maybe wait for an airline sale and book then, but you do need to watch and wait.

Hotels, we never book more than 3 months out and use a search engine such as www.smartervegas.com or www.travelzoo.com

Clive

Edited: 10 August 2013, 11:52
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
166 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Booking over a year in advance

I'm noticing some great value on lowcostusa.co.uk but nothing released for Sept 2014, anyone used this before?

Ok so maybe just put money aside for this and look at it next year. Does anyone have any experience on how far in advance you will get the best value for airline and hotel?

If this is going to be a stress I might just go to Virgin and book it all up. They have always got us reasonable value in the past.

Thanks for the reply Clive

Neil

Norfolk England
Level Contributor
5,825 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Booking over a year in advance

Hi

There are people on here that have used lowcostusa and been quite happy. Planning and booking yourselves to get the very best prices and deals is time consuming. You can save alot but you have to want to do it. Personally we have not used a travel agent or a package since the 1970's but for some it's just the easiest option. I have always thought packages are very expensive but the the one click holiday suits some.

Clive

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
82 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Booking over a year in advance

We are doing a trip to New York and Vegas at the end of November and we managed to get everything booked including transatlantic flights and an internal flight by early January. The New York hotel we had booked as early as October.

Fife, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
223 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Booking over a year in advance

Hi,

We went to new york last year through expedia and got a good deal,so we've booked to go to las vegas with them this year.

Prices were a good bit cheaper than travel agents,which seem to be a complete rip-off.

Good luck.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
166 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Booking over a year in advance

Thanks for the info guys. The problem with lowcostusa.co.uk and expedia.co.uk (if booking a flight+hotel) is that we are looking to stay at a few places and maybe even a few days away from Vegas and those sites don't let you, which is a shame since when booking flight+hotel you save some money. So the only option is to build the whole thing. I guess for the time being I will just think of a number I want to pay for flight and hotel and wait for them to get close to that number.

Castleford, United...
Level Contributor
331 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Booking over a year in advance

We booked out Vegas trip 10 months in advance, and found booking flights and hotels seperate saved us money

Fife, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
223 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Booking over a year in advance

Are you sure you can't do that with expedia?

I think you can customise your trip to suit,but not positive.

Maybe worth giving them a call.

Norfolk England
Level Contributor
5,825 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Booking over a year in advance

Hi

We always tour, not just go to Las Vegas, it's only part of the 3 weeks we visit the USA once a year. I have found it useful to use BA some years. You can book with your flight, your car and if you want hotel. Both of these options can be for all or just the days you want. Give them a look but of course you are still too early for your dates. You can always do a dummy booking to see what they do, just dont click buy now,lol.

Clive

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
166 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Booking over a year in advance

Will look at expedia, maybe they do.

Clive I've built up a reasonable amount of frequent flyer miles with Virgin (plus always had great service) so always look to them as my first preference. Never gone long-haul with BA, will give them a look.