We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying with AA Manchester to Chicago and onto Vegas

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
121 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Flying with AA Manchester to Chicago and onto Vegas

We are flying to Vegas with American Airlines but have a change over in Chicago. Will we have the opportunity to shop in Chicago or will we be detained in the gate area? On the way there we only have one and a half hours but coming home we have about four hours between flights. Also if we buy duty free at our first airport will we be able to put in our hold luggage before the second flight. All answers appreciated Thanks Kelly

Special Offer
Grand Canyon Helicopter Tour with...
6,547 reviews
from US$399.99*
US$520.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim and Hoover Dam...
4,999 reviews
from US$142.99*
US$224.90
Special Offer
Grand Canyon Skywalk Skip-the-Line...
385 reviews
from US$499.99*
US$541.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim Luxury...
347 reviews
from US$299.99*
US$399.00
Wales
Level Contributor
240 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying with AA Manchester to Chicago and onto Vegas

Hi Kelly. We did similar on our past trips. An hour and a half is not long at all- you will spend your time queuing for immigration on the way there and then rushing to your gate to board. Chicago when we went there as a stopover was a nightmare, I think we had 70 mins and we ended up missing the flight but luckily our flight was delayed anyway. On your way back although 4 hours is quite long there will be plenty of shops/restaurants. I'm not sure you'll be allowed out of the airport to look round Chicago and you don't really have the time to do it anyway. Duty free will be fine.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
56,508 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying with AA Manchester to Chicago and onto Vegas

Technically you're allowed out of the airport in both directions. Inbound however you'd be lucky to catch the connection, unless O'Hare has now also started using special Immigration queues for connecting flight passengers.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
33,862 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying with AA Manchester to Chicago and onto Vegas

On arrival at Chicago you'll clear immigration, reclaim baggage and clear customs and then drop off your bags at the AA transit desk. Before dropping off bags, put any restricted items that won't pass TSA inspection (liquids bought at duty free etc) into checked bags. You'll then switch terminals, clear security and take your onward flight. With a 90 minute connection you may just have time to grab a bite to eat if you're lucky - it depends on how long the lines at immigration will be.

Your return flight is much more straightforward. In and out of the same terminal in Chicago so no security clearance issues. You'll check bags in at Vegas and won't see them again until you arrive in the UK. Lots of time to relax between flights.

If you're asking about heading into downtown Chicago in that four hour layover and whether or not you have time to do so, the Chicago forum is the best place to ask.

Edited: 11 August 2013, 11:10
Cockermouth, United...
Level Contributor
1,366 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying with AA Manchester to Chicago and onto Vegas

You can only get worthwhile Duty Free on the way home and you will not have the opportunity to put it in your hold luggage.

You will be able to buy stuff at Manchester and shove it in your hold luggage in Chicago but im not sure about liquids, they have taken drink off me before getting off an inbound plane as it wasn't in a sealed duty free bag, plus its still expensive.

Or did you mean cigarette's/tobacco?

Edited: 11 August 2013, 11:20
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3,201 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying with AA Manchester to Chicago and onto Vegas

DONT DO IT ! ! ! ! Just go direct . Stop overs are a pain in the a$$ ! !

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,685 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flying with AA Manchester to Chicago and onto Vegas

"DONT DO IT ! ! ! ! Just go direct . Stop overs are a pain in the a$$ ! !" - Not everybody has the option of direct flights or are willing to pay the extra that direct flights cost. As long as you have enough connection time there is nothing wrong with indirect flights.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3,201 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flying with AA Manchester to Chicago and onto Vegas

Was meant partly as a joke and partly serious . Don't know if its the persons 1st time or not . I flew indirect 1st time and thought it was a great deal BUT the whole trip took 18 hours instead of the 10 it is direct . Manchester HAS direct routes . Even if it didn't theres a cheap option of fliying to London for one ( which I have to do every year to goto Vegas As I stay in Glasgow )

The price difference USED to be enough to sway some people to go indirect but these days the saving is just not worth the hastle of an extra 6 - 8 hours .

UK
Level Contributor
54 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flying with AA Manchester to Chicago and onto Vegas

Also, that Airport is huge.

I flew there once from Manchester, changing for a connection to LA and thought an hour and half was plenty, but you have to clear customs there which took ages and I only just managed to get my connecting flight

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
121 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flying with AA Manchester to Chicago and onto Vegas

We are flying to Vegas with American Airlines but have a change over in Chicago. Will we have the opportunity to shop in Chicago or will we be detained in the gate area? On the way there we only have one and a half hours but coming home we have about four hours between flights. Also if we buy duty free at our first airport will we be able to put in our hold luggage before the second flight. All answers appreciated Thanks Kelly

Cedar Rapids, Iowa...
Level Contributor
1,761 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flying with AA Manchester to Chicago and onto Vegas

With only 4 hours between flights, you don't really have time to go shopping in the downtown area of Chicago. From the airport to downtown, depending on time of day, could take 30 minutes or longer. On your way back, again depending on time of day, it could take much longer than 30 minutes (especially if your timing coincides with the end of the work day). On top of that, you would need time to get back through security at the airport itself prior to your flight.

In my opinion, it's not even close to enough time.