We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South Rim - Walking required?

Newcsatle
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
South Rim - Walking required?

Hi, just wondering if you need to walk far to see the best views at the South Rim. My wife has health problems and can't walk very far or up hills.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
7,682 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: South Rim - Walking required?

No, you don't. The eastern viewpoints along Desert View Road can be accessed with your private vehicle and the parking lots are all very close the actual rim. In the Village, there is a pedestrian walkway in front of the lodges; if you park in the lot by El Tovar, you will be just steps away. For the western viewpoints, the shuttle stops are, again, just steps from the actual rim.

If you have mobility issues, you can obtain an "accessibility permit" at the entrance gate that will allow you to drive your vehicle in areas that are otherwise limited to shuttles.

nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/accessibility.htm

Btw, I broke my ankle during my most recent visit to the Grand Canyon but still managed to see the western viewpoints during sunset on crutches -- so I can guarantee that it can be done!

Edited: 13 August 2013, 02:57
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
59,715 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: South Rim - Walking required?

Agreeing that distant walking is not required. But you do need to get out of the car, and then you need to give it time. You can sit for an hour in one place at the GC and you still won't see everything that is out there before your eyes. It's that big and that grand.

Newcsatle
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: South Rim - Walking required?

Thank you for the replies. It is a great help to us.

England, United...
Level Contributor
3,233 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: South Rim - Walking required?

As others have said, walking in terms of distance isn't really an issue, and it's fairly flat. But given your wife's health problems you should be aware that the air is a bit thinner at that altitude and you may notice you get out of breath a little easier than you would otherwise. Just something to consider.

Texas
Level Contributor
673 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: South Rim - Walking required?

We saw a lot of people with mobility issues using various means to get around when we were at the Grand Canyon. We saw several people riding mobility carts, a couple of people in wheel chairs, and there was even a guy pushing his wife while seated on the seat of her wheeled walker. Maybe you could rent a wheel chair for your visit.

Stevenage, United...
Level Contributor
1,935 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: South Rim - Walking required?

And as DelTigerFan broke his ankle - I would watch your step!

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,668 posts
332 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: South Rim - Walking required?

I know that others have probably already answered your question, but I will answer, also. You enter the park and can drive along the park road from one side to another without ever having to walk, but you can get out for the turnouts/viewing points. There may be some steps at some of the locations, but you can avoid them. I think it was the NPS's goal to make the park accessible for all persons.

There is also a rim walk that is paved that people can walk on that is an easy walk. If you go in the summertime, walking should be no problem. I would avoid going in the wintertime. There is a lot of ice and snow on the sidewalk and view areas then.

Edited: 13 August 2013, 15:21
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
7,682 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: South Rim - Walking required?

>> And as DelTigerFan broke his ankle - I would watch your step!

We were on the Tanner Trail, well below the rim, so no worries for the OP!

(Btw, and that would be HER ankle. ;) )

9. Re: South Rim - Walking required?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2014, 06:19