We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whatever happened to Restaurant.com?

England
Level Contributor
1,805 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Whatever happened to Restaurant.com?

Took a stroll along memory lane last night to see if there were any coupons worth buying on Restaurant.com for my upcoming visit. First time I have visited for a while - and what a shock.

Where are the Mix/Border Grill/RM Seafood/Envy/Aureole coupons of old? Answer: replaced by pizza, tapas and burger places - and mostly off-strip. Sure, there are the old stagers hanging on in there - Stripburger, Casa Di Amore, TOTW, but they are the exception.

Browsing Restaurant.com these days appears to be the electronic equivalent of a walk in the wilder side of Detroit (based on what we read in the press). The only thing missing was tumbleweed rolling down the screen. So sad.

Edited: 14 August 2013, 15:51
Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,264 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whatever happened to Restaurant.com?

I bought Envy and then got an email telling me it was no longer available and to convert it to a credit.

I have had a couple of long chats online with them about how I am supposed to spend that credit and another one that they no longer honour.

Yeah Stripburger is there but try buying it, you can't, another subject of discussion.

Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
856 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whatever happened to Restaurant.com?

I think most restaurants join Restaurant.com to increase patronage to their establishments and to get people to their restaurants who probably would not go if they did not have the coupon. Most of the restaurants you mentioned - Border Grill, Mix etc. don't need restaurant.com anymore - they have people who will always patronize them when they come to Vegas.

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
264 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whatever happened to Restaurant.com?

I feel the same way and have a $25 credit burning a hole in my pocket. I was hoping Fleur would still be available this year, but no. I have been stalking the site for Stripburger when/if they ever reload.

England
Level Contributor
1,805 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whatever happened to Restaurant.com?

Laurie

Believe you have a window of 0.4875 seconds to bag a Stripburger voucher when they are posted on the 1st of the month. Theirs is a classic case of limiting the numbers to generate the interest - probably more mentioned on here than any other restaurant on Restaurant.com (great marketing ploy).

P.S : I have two Stripburger vouchers and was considering selling them on EBay, until I saw the recent post!!

PPS Only joking.

England
Level Contributor
1,805 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whatever happened to Restaurant.com?

Chele

While I can sign up to your statement that restaurants usually go on there initially to drum up custom, it seems to me that there was a management decision sometime ago to pull all the old Mandalay Bay restaurants off Restaurant.com. They were there for years, but there must have been a falling-out somewhere along the line.

Marijka: Never knew that about Envy. I hold an old voucher for them so best I check it out. Also hold vouchers for Border Grill and Mix - need to check those out too.

Watch Hill, Rhode...
Level Contributor
11,258 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Whatever happened to Restaurant.com?

Earlier today they re-loaded the Stripburger GCs, but when I checked there were 3 $25 GCs left. Now those are gone.

If I recall, the concept of restaurant.com was to bring diners in, and encourage them to order more; perhaps an appetizer, or to have dessert, in addition to entrees and drinks. It seems most people instead wanted something for almost nothing, and endeavored to barely meet the minimum expenditure required to use their coupon. Not sure how long a restaurant could afford to give food away??

California
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
42,392 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Whatever happened to Restaurant.com?

Garsons: You notice that Mandalay Bay was the only MGM property that had a sizable number of restaurants on restaurant.com. It was more or less a test of a marketing program. My concept of time sucks, but the MB restaurants were only on there about 2-3 years. Apparently participation did not produce the results they were looking for.

I'm sure you realize that very few restaurants in Strip hotels participate in the program. It has always been that way, and probably always will.

Edited: 14 August 2013, 16:58
Carlsbad CA
Level Contributor
1,746 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Whatever happened to Restaurant.com?

"... but the MB restaurants were only on there about 2-3 years"

There's a pretty long "only." However I think you're right about everything else you posted. It was actually the only Strip hotel that had coupons for major restaurants. When they all got pull, I guess about 8 months ago, Border Grill hung on for a couple of additional months. The only place I like to use them for now is Simon's at the Palms.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,993 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Whatever happened to Restaurant.com?

I used a few during a trip in 2011, so I had a look last month to see what might be currently available and had the same reaction as you, GARSON51. There wasn't anything at all I found appealing.

10. Re: Whatever happened to Restaurant.com?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2014, 05:18