We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Canyon tours

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
44 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Grand Canyon tours

This is our first trip to Vegas and our first overseas holiday without our children.. We are wanting to go to the Grand Canyon for a day trip and after doing some research I'm at a lost at what to do?? A bus tour sounds like fun but long.. Love to do a helicopter tour but which one? Should we drive.. I'm a little confused... HELP!!!

Sturgeon Bay...
Level Contributor
5,634 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Canyon tours

Many here will tell you that the only part to go to is the South rim. And many here have taken the helicopter to the West rim and have reported a great time. The only helicopter to the Grand Canyon will be to the West rim where they will probably take you to the bottom. There are many more options available there. I thought it was an awsome sight and enjoyed the Skywalk. The South rim is the most beautiful for sure but I am not a big scenery person and my time was limited so I opted fot the West rim and was very well satisfied as are thousands of people each year. Maverick and Papillon are two helicopter tours mentioned here quite a bit. good luck.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
57,042 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Canyon tours

Read the Top Questions on the right side of this page for the best collection of opinions and advice.

There is no west rim of the Grand Canyon. There is a north rim and a south rim along the more than 200 mile long canyon. At the extreme western region of the canyon the Indians have cooperated in a built for profit theme park designed to attract tourists from Las Vegas. Officially it is known as grandcanyonwest, and is often referred to as the west rim. It is where you'll find the rip off sky walk and a variety of contrived activities including rides and flights down to the river. What you won't find are the natural views and sights that you are expecting to see at the Grand Canyon. It is a scenic area, but over 3000 feet lower than the rim at the south rim at the Grand Canyon National Park.

Since God built the Grand Canyon long before man built the city of Las Vegas, gcw is the developers attempt to overcome the time and distance factors.

If experiencing the Grand Canyon is your priority, choose to drive or book a tour to the more distant GCNP at the south rim. It's a huge park and really needs an over night stay to enjoy a full experience. If on the other hand, you just want a cheesy day trip and you don't care about wasting money, choose a helicopter flight across Lake Mead and join the herd of tourists who will missing the Grand Canyon too.

Sturgeon Bay...
Level Contributor
5,634 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Canyon tours

Geez RedRox, can you demean the West Rim more strongly. Hopefully people will realize that this is your opinion and not that of the tens of thousands of people who enjoy the Skywalk and the flights down to the canyon floor. The ranch and the rafting can be quite exciting also. Many,like myself,can only 'look' at scenery for so long before wanting to move on to something else. My wife can spend a night someplace just to watch a sunrise,I cannot. Nobody is the same. To keep denegrating an area only because you dont like it is not fair to the people here looking for answers. I feel they should be advised of the circumstances and allowed to make up their own mind depending on their interests and time constraints.

Thunder Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
346 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Canyon tours

Hello..we just did the airplane from vegas to the south rim..six hours of travelling..3 hours of staring at beautiful scenery...I agree with whoever just said"how long can yu stare at something"?...I was wishing we had done the helicopter instead..good luck!!!

Thunder Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
346 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand Canyon tours

Hello..we just did the airplane from vegas to the south rim..six hours of travelling..3 hours of staring at beautiful scenery...I agree with whoever just said"how long can yu stare at something"?...I was wishing we had done the helicopter instead..good luck!!!

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
33,862 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Grand Canyon tours

ToddTina, as you're traveling all the way from Australia, you should try to visit South Rim at Grand Canyon NP if at all possible. But ideally you should treat it as a destination in its own right rather than just another thing to do when in Vegas.

If you're not familiar with canyon scenery then you'll very likely enjoy Grand Canyon West as a lot as it's a very scenic place. And if the prospect of the ride in a helicopter and landing on the floor of a canyon appeals to you then you'll probably have a great day and memorable experience. But don't think that you'll have seen the Grand Canyon that's one of the world's natural wonders and has been made famous by countless pictures and movies.

Have a great time whatever you decide!

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
19,287 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grand Canyon tours

You're coming from the other side of the world - only you can decide whether to invest the time to visit the Grand Canyon National Park which is one of the wonders of the world and will give you the views you see on tv/film or pay a lot to visit the private for profit development known as GC West.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
57,042 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grand Canyon tours

tjp, it's not that I dislike gcw. What I find distasteful is the deceptive marketing tactics. The Grand Canyon is indeed one of the wonders of the world. It's over 200 miles long. The environments and scenery within the canyon vary greatly. If it was all like what can be seen at gcw, I seriously doubt that it would enjoy that world wonder status.

People come from all around the world to see the Grand Canyon that they have seen in picture books and travel brochures and movies. None of those photos and films come from gcw. For the hawkers and agents in LV to imply or promise those views while extracting large sums of money from unsuspecting tourists is a crime IMO. It's no different than tour guides in Sturgeon Bay selling a ticket to show Lake Michigan to their mark and then taking them to the marina at Green Bay. It's deception and profiteering at its worst.

Sadly, those thousands that you refer to, go back home and tell their friends and families that they went to the GC, took a ride in a helicopter and went to the bottom of the canyon. As we all know, those things are impossible to do in a day trip to the real Grand Canyon at the south rim.

So it's not the place that I dislike. It's the lying and deception that gets pulled off on unsuspecting tourists. It goes deeper than just the personnel in LV. These greedy marketeers spend huge sums to set up these lies with television bits in foreign countries. In spite of the outrageous fees they charge, gcw is still on the verge of financial disaster. I am only one of many who attempt to counter this deception so that visitors can understand the difference and at least understand the options.

Nothing can take the place of experiencing the Grand Canyon from the 7,000 foot rim at the GCNP.

Truro, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Grand Canyon tours

We just arrived back from the states and their is a company that we used called Dean Outdoor that does great small group tours. We found them here on TripAdvisor and they were fabulous. Our family only did the Hoover Dam but they also have great reviews for the Grand Canyon. Not one complaint.

Sturgeon Bay...
Level Contributor
5,634 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Grand Canyon tours

Redrox: I couldnt agree with you more. If there are companies that are lying or deceiving people with regards to their offered tours of the GC then its up to people to make others aware of their existence and hopefully they will make corrections. I may have missed some, but it seems that most people that opt for a helicopter tour to the West Rim have reported having a great time. I think the whole point of this forum is to help people make an informed decision with hopefully, unbiased info. I have repeatedly stated here that the South rim is the most photogenic area and is part of the park system. I have also said that if time is limited and the only option to see the GC is a tour of the West rim, then it may be the best option for some. To say its a rip-off run by the Indians is your opinion,but at least let people know why you think that. Is it because the skywalk(which i thought was awsome) is 28dollars to tour? Is it because its not as deep a canyon? Things like this should be explained to people so they can be more informed. Being so negative with regards to the West rim may mean that many people go back home to never even see what you call the "inferior" part of the GC. I cant imagine an "inferior" area of the GC. It is all so impressive. To each their own I guess.