We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which airport - Palm Springs or Las Vegas ??

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,136 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Which airport - Palm Springs or Las Vegas ??

We have a winter trip planned, one week in Palm Springs and a second week in Las Vegas......

Our flight will be covered by frequent flier miles so the cost is irrelevant.......Which airport would be better to fly into/out of ?......any opinions, considerations ??....

Mentioned in this post
Palm Springs
Palm Springs
Greater Palm Springs, CA
Special Offer
Grand Canyon All-American Helicopter...
6,641 Reviews
from US$399.99*
US$520.00
Grand Canyon West Rim and Hoover Dam...
5,129 Reviews
from US$142.99*
Special Offer
Grand Canyon 4-in-1 Helicopter Tour
916 Reviews
from US$598.99*
US$650.00
Dallas
Level Contributor
25,158 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which airport - Palm Springs or Las Vegas ??

Why not fly into one and out of the other? Depending on what order you plan to go to each place.

Canada
Level Contributor
1,730 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which airport - Palm Springs or Las Vegas ??

Palm Springs,

Much smaller,less traffic, easier to rent a car..... Great small airport !!

No doubt I would rather fly into Palm Springs any time compared to Vegas

Mentioned in this post
Palm Springs
Palm Springs
Greater Palm Springs, CA
haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,136 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which airport - Palm Springs or Las Vegas ??

Thanks, guys.......I was weighing the traffic versus and car rental options......I like your idea, Placebets, but don't know what the one way car rental drop off fees would be.......will definitely check into that, though....

Nebraska
Level Contributor
2,128 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which airport - Palm Springs or Las Vegas ??

If you are renting a car you might want to compare those rates. In my experience it is much cheaper to rent a car in Vegas than most places. I have rented in Palm Springs but can't remember the rate I got. Also while the cost of the flight might not matter to you the convenience of flight times and connections would still be important. I would guess you will have many more options and better connections flying into Vegas. For example, from my location I can fly direct to Vegas but could not do that to Palm Springs. That would make all the difference to me if I was making this choice.

Mentioned in this post
Palm Springs
Palm Springs
Greater Palm Springs, CA
Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
18,699 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which airport - Palm Springs or Las Vegas ??

Rental car rates can be pretty expensive in Palm Springs, especially from the airport with all the tourism fees, or if there events like tennis or golf tournaments going on.

I looked at rental rates for my trip in October and PS was considerably higher than Vegas. Same car is $20-25 more per day compared to Vegas.

When you drive from Vegas to PS try going the back way via JTNP and the Mojave Preserve.

Edited: 27 August 2013, 17:35
Mentioned in this post
Palm Springs
Palm Springs
Greater Palm Springs, CA
Dallas
Level Contributor
25,158 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which airport - Palm Springs or Las Vegas ??

mombear - don't forget to compare the cost of the rental car drop fee against the extra gas cost of driving from one place back to the other.

7. Re: Which airport - Palm Springs or Las Vegas ??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2014, 06:18