We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone else afraid to fly?

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
209 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Anyone else afraid to fly?

We fly often, but every time I have the worst anxiety!. I take Ativan to calm me down, but I always feel like my first day in Vegas is wasted because it pretty much knocks me out.

Does anyone else have fear of flying? If so how do you cope so that you don't waste time on your trip sleeping?

Special Offer
Grand Canyon All American Helicopter...
6,724 reviews
from US$399.99*
US$494.95
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim and Hoover Dam...
5,106 reviews
from US$142.99*
US$224.90
Special Offer
Deluxe Grand Canyon All American...
511 reviews
from US$426.99*
US$527.50
Special Offer
Skip the Line: Grand Canyon Skywalk...
404 reviews
from US$499.99*
US$541.00
Green Bay, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,199 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone else afraid to fly?

My wife takes Dromamine (not sure on the spelling) It's supposed to help you relax. It can make you drowsy though. Why not have a few drinks to take the edge off?

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
209 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone else afraid to fly?

Thanks, I might try that- my only fear is that what if I have the drinks and then find I am still terrified- I can't mix my pill with drinks so I would be hooped and possibly still anxious. I guess it's worth a try- I hate how those pills knock me out!

Boston...
Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone else afraid to fly?

it seems like your flight is long too (mine is 5.5/6 hours!!!). i'll say this is one reason i don't get to LV as often as i'd like to. i do get very anxious when i fly & it makes my stomach queasy - this usually starts a couple of days before the trip uggghh! believe it or not, i've had good luck with plain old dramamine (original - NOT non-drowsy!) - it settles down my stomach & makes me just sleepy/calm enough to get thru the flight. the best part...when i get to my destination, i snap right out of it - not sleepy or tired at all. husband loves it - he can actually read or sleep on the plane now without me grabbing his arm at every bump ;)

Boston...
Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone else afraid to fly?

before dramamine, i did try a couple of drinks but found it made me more anxious AND weepy!

i haven't had any ill effects of drinking after the dramamine, but everyone's different, so just be mindful...

Oakbrook Terrace...
Level Contributor
762 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone else afraid to fly?

When I was younger I liked to fly, then I started to develop some flying phobia. I was extremely scared.

A few things happened and I have been ok again for the last 5 years, and I actually enjoy flying.

1 - One day in our first trip to LV (coincidentally), I sat next to a young girl and she was reading a prayers book. She had to be like the most serene person. Because of her outfit, I am going to say that she was muslin. Right in that moment I just thought that God was not going to let anything to happen to the plane.

2. I started to read about my fear and one thing that helped me a lot was this exercise:

Look around and see that people is just ok. Many people sleep, , other people are chatting or reading. I look at the flight attendants and they seem to think that everything is great! then it made me realize that my fear was ridiculous.

Level Contributor
829 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anyone else afraid to fly?

Ativan seems a little strong what about .25 Xanax it will take the edge off but not knock you out

Manhattan, Kansas
Level Contributor
293 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anyone else afraid to fly?

Have you considered an early morning flight, pay $20 for early check in and take a nap. I take Ativan as well to fly and I usually also have a drink during the flight.

Mass
Level Contributor
1,806 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anyone else afraid to fly?

I use to be afraid, the more trips I took the less afraid I became. My anxiety with it now comes from the fact that I have a Vestibular Disease that can get set off if I look out the window. Xanax or Valium are my best friends on a flight. Noise cancelling headphones with my favorite music on the ipod. That and thinking about the fact that the employees on the plane know more than I do and they do it every single day. Whatever I can do to make the 6 hour trip go quicker I try. Drowsiness from the meds is not a bad thing on a trip that long. Sleep is my ultimate best friend.

Visalia, California
Level Contributor
926 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anyone else afraid to fly?

Well I'm OCD which is an anxiety dissorder. I have gone to therapy/counseling for it to help me deal with anxiety. I'm a germaphobe and do not like being touched by people. That said I'll give you some tips that I've learned through the years.

Anxiety is an interesting thing and you don't always have to take anti-anxiety medications to calm you down. I refused to take medication to treat OCD. Mostly because I did not want to become dependent on a pill.

One of the big ones is to ask yourself if you have a valid snd rational reason to have that fear? The most difficult part of doing this is being rational. But if you can manage to do it it should eventually calm you a bit. Having a fear of flying isn't really rational. The odds of you being involved in anything negative are fairly slim.

Even if there is some validity to your claim and fear ask yourself is there anything you can do about it? Typically the answer is no so you have to try and find some peace in that.

Close your eyes and think of a calm and relaxing place. Try and imagine it as best you can. I typically opt for a small uninhabited island in the Caribbean. I imagine it at night the moon just anove the horizon white sands a cool breezes and small waves breaking on the beach.

Listen to relaxing music.

Breath in through your nose out through your mouth slowly.

I must caution you on this one. Using this method to treat anxiety can create a codelendency which can turn you into an addict/alcoholic. So you have to be very careful with it. No therapist would recommend this as it has a lot of potential to spiral out of control.

Alcohol and any "downer" will treat the symptoms of anxiety. Have a few drinks before you get on the plane. Due to the fact that alcohol is downer it should mello you out a bit. This is essentially what you're doing with the ativan but that is stronger and it stays active in your system for a longer period of time. Thus it takes 12-24 hours for it to get out of your system.

Stay away from uppers 24 hours before you fly. Caffine is only adding fuel to the fire and will only amplify the symptoms of anxiety.

DO NOT MIX xanax and other anxiety meds with alcohol. It is VERY easy to OD on the combination.

If you're still having a hard time virtual reality therapy has been very effective at treating fears. I'm sure if you google/bing it you can find someone that offers it in your area. Health insursnce might cover it or help pay for it. My therapist has one set up and he has had success treating the fear kf flying, spiders, snakes and public speaking.

If none of this works ask for a different medication or a lower dosage.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
209 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Anyone else afraid to fly?

@rmheartsaruba- luckily our flight is direct and only about 3 hours long, but I have had longer ones to Mexico and Jamaica and those are the worst. Is Dramamine some kind of anti nauseant?. My doctor prescribed 2mg pills of Ativan- that could be why I get so sleepy lol. Last time I tried cutting them into smaller doses but they are already so small and dissolve under your tongue so it's hard to cut them smaller. Can you get Dramamine OTC?