We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

grand canyon, red rock canyon, valley of fire??

Dundalk, Ireland
Level Contributor
19 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
grand canyon, red rock canyon, valley of fire??

Hi im travelling to vegas on September 30th for 5 days.

I have couple of things planned on the strip but would like to get off the strip and see the nature & desert of Vegas. I love nature.

I love to see the grand canyon but dont want to get up at 6.30am on vacation for the trip for grand canyon and dont want to be stuck on a bus for hours either.

Would red rocks or valley of fire be as good as I heard there closer to vegas, and I love mountain biking can you do this at any of the parks?

Or should I just go to grand canyon, is the other parks even near as amazing as the grand canyon.

Is it worth the early morning and long journey for the grand canyon? Or would the other parks be good enough??

Any advice appreciate it.

Thanks

Louise

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
4,345 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: grand canyon, red rock canyon, valley of fire??

Will you bring your own bike and have transportation or do you need a tour/rental?

Dundalk, Ireland
Level Contributor
19 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: grand canyon, red rock canyon, valley of fire??

Will need a tour or rental. I dont have much experience in mountain biking but done once before and loved it.

Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: grand canyon, red rock canyon, valley of fire??

We were in Vegas last November. We visited both Red Rock & Valley of Fire. Both were impressive but we liked Valley of Fire better. Here's our pictures from that trip: …blogspot.com/2013/01/valley-of-fire.html

Is the Grand Canyon more amazing? Hmm... It was different. For me it would be an apple/orange type of a comparison. I guess for me, the Grand Canyon was so large, I didn't feel like I could wrap my head around the grandeur. Valley of Fire, while still very impressive, felt more... personal? Attainable?

Shelby Township...
Destination Expert
for Paradise
Level Contributor
2,415 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: grand canyon, red rock canyon, valley of fire??

We will be visiting the Grand Canyon (South) from Las Vegas for the first time this year. The biggest lesson I have learned from this forum:

The West Rim Grand Canyon bus trips are a poor substitute for the real Grand Canyon, specifically the South and North Rims. And those two are more than a one day bus trip away. The South Rim for example is a four and a half hour trip each way. So the trip can't be done well in just one day.

The Valley of Fire and Red Rocks will be fantastic examples of desert life for you. I can't speak to the cycling, but there are official websites detailing the activities there. Bring plenty of refreshments!

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
7,591 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: grand canyon, red rock canyon, valley of fire??

>> is the other parks even near as amazing as the grand canyon.

No, not even close. But that doesn't mean that I think a GC daytrip is the best use of your time. If you want to see a great national park that's closer to LV, consider Zion. It's an easy 3 hour drive (I've done it in 2.5 from park to Mirage with ideal traffic conditions.) I would still recommend getting up at 6:30am (or earlier!) for the day though.

Marquette, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
2,401 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: grand canyon, red rock canyon, valley of fire??

I agree with DetTigerFan, if you can manage it you would not regret a visit to Zion. An early start would get you in the park by 9:00 or 10:00 and allow you to catch a shuttle for a few hours, which could include some relatively easy hikes as well. Even if you can only spend a few hours @ Zion the views will still be worth the effort. If you can manage an entire day/night I recommend overnighting in Springdale.

North Cape May, Nj
Level Contributor
8,845 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: grand canyon, red rock canyon, valley of fire??

Since you will only be in Vegas for 5 days, I recommend Valley Of Fire or a combination tour of Valley Of Fire and Hoover Dam. Maybe you will be able to return to Vegas for a longer stay and visit the GC.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,707 posts
963 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: grand canyon, red rock canyon, valley of fire??

I have been to all three and the Grand Canyon is by far the best of the three (the other two do not even compare). In 1997 CNN announced a listing of the Seven Natural Wonders of the World and the Grand Canyon was on the list (CNN probably did not even think about the other two).

The only reason I would see the other two before the Grand Canyon is that they are close to Vegas (Red Rock is very close). If you do not have a lot of time in Vegas, then a trip to the Grand Canyon will eat up a lot of your Vegas vacation.

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
5,809 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: grand canyon, red rock canyon, valley of fire??

The GC needs to be understood as a destination by itself. It is more than just another thing of the list of things to see in Vegas. The other places are scenic enough and you will have a nice visit, but they are not considered one of the great natural wonders of the world. It is certainly worth the time and effort to get to the National Park at the South Rim. You need to decided if this is something you are willing to do.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
28,486 posts
537 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: grand canyon, red rock canyon, valley of fire??

If you are coming from Ireland I would say go to the Grand Canyon for a day since you will be at the closest major airport to it already and especially if you are already renting a vehicle.