We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Southwest - Early Bird check-in

Stow, Ohio
Level Contributor
885 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Southwest - Early Bird check-in

I bought the early bird check in and my flight leaves tomorrow afternoon - I read on their site that they automatically check you in 36 hours prior to flight leaving - should I receive an email with my boarding position? My flight leaves in 28 hours and still haven't received anything. First time flying Southwest so not exactly sure how this works - thanks for any replies!

Special Offer
Grand Canyon Helicopter Tour with...
6,550 reviews
from US$399.99*
US$520.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim and Hoover Dam...
5,011 reviews
from US$142.99*
US$224.90
Special Offer
Grand Canyon Skywalk Skip-the-Line...
385 reviews
from US$499.99*
US$541.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim Helicopter Tour...
565 reviews
from US$369.99*
US$479.00
London, United...
Level Contributor
17,211 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Southwest - Early Bird check-in

You should firstly log in to your reservation on the website and see if that sheds any light. And if you're not satisfied you should call the airline.

Even if someone here can give you an accurate general answer to your question that doesn't mean it will be correct for your given circumstance.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
11,278 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Southwest - Early Bird check-in

No, they will not email you your boarding position. Although you are automatically checked in at the 36 hr mark you can not see your position until the 24 hour mark. At that time you can enter your confirmation number and name to retrieve your information and also print your boarding pass, if desired.

Boston
Level Contributor
973 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Southwest - Early Bird check-in

deleted b/c I like the prior poster's answer better.

Edited: 05 September 2013, 15:38
Stow, Ohio
Level Contributor
885 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Southwest - Early Bird check-in

Thank you for the quick replies and clarifying for me! I will log again when I hit the 24 hour mark :-)

Saint Joseph...
Level Contributor
2,608 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Southwest - Early Bird check-in

Do NOT call the airline ........ haha.

I know this is your first time on SWA, but the process is exactly the same whether you buy the Early Bird or not. As 'btr' said, once you get to within 24 hours, just go to southwest.com and click on the "Check In" option under 'Quick Air Links' on the right side of the screen. You'll need your confirmation number. Bottom line ..... your spot is being held with the Early Bird option, but you still need to check in.

That being said, you can actually wait until you get to the airport. Especially if you ARE checking luggage. Just have the curbside luggage guys print your boarding pass for you. This might come in handy for your return flight. No sense interupting fun in Vegas to worry about boarding passes.

Kenosha, WI
Level Contributor
12,113 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Southwest - Early Bird check-in

I had a similar concern the first time I used this feature. After the 24 hour mark, I went into my account, and it didn't look like I had been checked in yet. I called SWA, and they told me that I was checked in and assigned a boarding position at 36 hours, but I would still need to "go through the motions" online to check-in and print my boarding pass.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,211 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Southwest - Early Bird check-in

Bet it felt reassuring to speak to someone when you were unsure of the process.

Nebraska
Level Contributor
2,015 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Southwest - Early Bird check-in

As indicated you "can" check it to see when you get to the 24 hour point - but no need to do so right at that time. Your boarding position will be set and will not change even if you wait until you get to the airport to check it.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
11,278 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Southwest - Early Bird check-in

southwest.com/html/…

^^Just in case folks don't care to call, there is an abundance of information about the Southwest boarding process, flight reservations, Early Bird check in, etc., available in the 'Help" link at the top of the main page and among the list of FAQs.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,211 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Southwest - Early Bird check-in

Eek! I assumed the OP would already have extensively read the FAQs on the website.