We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

We leave for California and Vegas on Sunday but booked again

Fife, Scotland
Level Contributor
915 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
We leave for California and Vegas on Sunday but booked again

Can't wait to get to Vegas but visiting my son in California first. I was getting a bit bored and noticed Virgins reward seat sale so I have booked again for March.

We live in Scotland and visit twice a year, anyone else travel this far this often or more?

What tips do you have to save for your trips?

Mentioned in this post
California
California
United States
Special Offer
Grand Canyon All-American Helicopter...
6,642 Reviews
from US$399.99*
US$520.00
Grand Canyon West Rim and Hoover Dam...
5,131 Reviews
from US$142.99*
Special Offer
Grand Canyon 4-in-1 Helicopter Tour
917 Reviews
from US$598.99*
US$650.00
Visalia, California
Level Contributor
926 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: We leave for California and Vegas on Sunday but booked again

Well I've never traveled that far at all.. Not entirely sure what's the furthest I've traveled.

But when saving for a big purchase or spending I basically pinch pennys. I quit eating out. I use coupons and cut out anything that really isn't vital.

Mind if I ask where you are staying in CA? And how long? Depending on what time of March your visit is you might see if your son can take you to Yosemite. The snow will just be starting to melt and the waterfalls will start flowing. It's a beautiful place.

Mentioned in this post
Ipswich, United...
Level Contributor
267 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: We leave for California and Vegas on Sunday but booked again

We have managed to fit a return trip in this year, we said in April that Vegas would be a `Once in a lifetime` holiday, 6 months later we are going back! :)

Mentioned in this post
Nottingham
Level Contributor
1,185 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: We leave for California and Vegas on Sunday but booked again

Normally only manage to visit once every 18 months. But after my last visit with friends and family in March, I was idly looking at reward seat availability on VA for Upper Class and they had good availability for just before Xmas so I decided to book my first ever solo trip and I can't wait!

Have a great time in CA and LV.

Fife, Scotland
Level Contributor
915 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: We leave for California and Vegas on Sunday but booked again

Thanks for the replies.

I'd love to see Yosemite, we are staying in San Francisco but my son will be working :-(

Mentioned in this post
Lancashire
Level Contributor
3,500 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: We leave for California and Vegas on Sunday but booked again

We did the same "once in a lifetime" holiday for my 40th birthday 7 years ago and have returned every year since!

We combined Vegas with a road trip from San Francisco via Pacific Highway ! through Monterey and Santa Barbara last year for my OH's 40th and that was pretty special.

If we didn't have children who want a European sunshine seaside holiday I think we would do Vegas more than once a year but until they fly the nest it is just a once a year trip for us.

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Hotel Pacific
Hotel Pacific
916 Reviews
Monterey, CA
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara
California
Fife, Scotland
Level Contributor
915 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: We leave for California and Vegas on Sunday but booked again

Cheers, this time we are flying to LA on Sunday having a couple of days there before driving up highway 1 to Santa Cruz, meeting my son then flying to Vegas for 9 nights.

I have a virgin credit card and get most of my miles from there or tesco which cuts down on the fares. I put away any lottery winnings for spending money and squirrel away as much as I can.

Mentioned in this post
Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz
California
OKC
Level Contributor
770 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: We leave for California and Vegas on Sunday but booked again

Lol I hear that "once in a lifetime from you guys in the UK". Las Vegas will always hook you in.. Once you get home, you already booking your next trip.

Mentioned in this post
Lancashire
Level Contributor
3,500 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: We leave for California and Vegas on Sunday but booked again

If you've not done Highway 1 before bhlister you're in for a treat. The day we drove from Monterey to Santa Barbara was the best day of my life. Each time I though there couldn't be a more breath taking sight we would turn a corner and see something even more beautiful.

Enjoy your trip.

Mentioned in this post
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara
California
Norfolk England
Level Contributor
5,825 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: We leave for California and Vegas on Sunday but booked again

Hi

We can only manage once a year as we go other places aswell. So far this year we have also been to Iceland, France and in a couple of weeks going to visit a friend who lives in the Greek Isles.

Clive

10. Re: We leave for California and Vegas on Sunday but booked again

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2014, 05:17