We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What To Do For a Host?

Whitehorse, Canada
Level Contributor
1,759 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
What To Do For a Host?

What would be an appropriate gift for thanking a host for comping us tickets, rooms meals etc?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
5,844 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What To Do For a Host?

Maybe a gas gift card or something like that, but I know its really there job and people do not normally tip them

milwaukee
Level Contributor
2,375 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What To Do For a Host?

We don't tip our hosts but a gift card is what i would recommend if you want to get them something.

Maspeth NY
Level Contributor
922 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What To Do For a Host?

My take on tipping a host is do they get you comped over your offer? My experience is the last maybe 3 years, I haven't received anything more than what I get with my offer so I see no reason to tip. Years ago the slot clubs were a lot more generous and the hosts would come through with food and show comps and I tipped. By the way I tipped cash at the time but now what I get is due to my play so I see no reason to tip.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What To Do For a Host?

We have a female host and my wife gets her a bottle of wine or something from Bath and Body Works, She goes out of her way for us on every trip and if we are running late she arranges transportation to the airport for us.

Level Contributor
1,392 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What To Do For a Host?

We don't have a host, never have. But would you think you might get a little extra attention if you did a little something for a host? I think people tend to remember or pay special attention to those who remember them.

Whitehorse, Canada
Level Contributor
1,759 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What To Do For a Host?

My sentiments exactly Nine....

Washington
Level Contributor
4,618 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What To Do For a Host?

Don't see a real need for a host. Never had one, & could care less. Not sure what else more one can do for me; already get my rooms comped, receive show/headliner comp offers, & meal/voucher/play offers. And they will first use up any comp dollars you have stored up beforehand.

Canton of Basel...
Level Contributor
97 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What To Do For a Host?

I've been having a great relationship with a host at MGM for about 5 years now, of course she's only doing her job, still I think it's nice to say also thank you to the people who take care of you...

A host may be giving more or less what you're entitled to, but lets be honest, they give more than direct comps would pay.. And... A host is of greatest help. When there's something out of the ordinary, so why not say thanks and show your appreciation for the tough job they're doing..

Usually I bring anything that I think might really please her.. And sometimes I ask her for a special wish, since we come from Europe...

kansas city
Level Contributor
548 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What To Do For a Host?

I would something from your home city, For example I live in KC. ( FAMOUS FOR BAR B QUE) so i got my host am assortment of sauces and rubs from our city.

canada
Level Contributor
4,321 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What To Do For a Host?

what I have had been doing for quite awhile bringing with me a gift box from channel for him or her ,,, or box of the best of cigars ,,,never money,,, or as I have done many many times just ordered from one of the stores in the hotel I am staying in something I would think they would like and have them delivered to them,,, and they could exchange it if they didn't like it for something of there preference ,,, [and not a tie] I have ordered also the largest gift box from laura secord a few times from my stays plus cologne

I still have a large wrapped gift box of channel in my drawer

the nice thing of purchasing from the stores where you are staying is they can exchange it and they know whom ever you want It sent to ,,works there you just tell whoever takes your order it's for your host an there name an a thank you card with your name