We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chirp, Chirp at the Rio....What would you do?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,351 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Chirp, Chirp at the Rio....What would you do?

Shortly after I unpacked in Room 1352 at the Rio last week, I heard a "chirp, chirp" and figured out it was the smoke detector. It probably needed new batteries. It was really annoying. The housekeeping staff was out in the hallway, so I asked one of them to contact maintenance and have them fix the smoke detector. She said she would.

I was out all day and when I got back to the room that night, I heard the same "chirp, chirp"! I was drunk and tired so I turned on the radio to block the annoying chirps and slept.

The next morning I went to the front desk and told them about the chirp and she promised to contact maintenance. Either she didn't or maintenance ignores service requests, because that night...."chirp, chirp" more loudly than before.

I was only there for two nights and I hope for the sake of the next guest they have replaced the darn batteries in that smoke detector in room 1352.

Did I handle this incorrectly? Would you have demanded a change of room?

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
54,997 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chirp, Chirp at the Rio....What would you do?

" Would you have demanded a change of room?"

Sure. But I also would have contacted the front desk directly instead of relying on the housekeeper in the hall to do it.

not Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
389 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chirp, Chirp at the Rio....What would you do?

I don't know what you heard but it wasn't the smoke alarm. In a hotel these are all hard wired not battery operated.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,351 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chirp, Chirp at the Rio....What would you do?

It was the smoke alarm for sure hard wired or not. The front desk didn't do anything either. Disappointing!

Mansfield, Texas
Level Contributor
697 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chirp, Chirp at the Rio....What would you do?

They are all hardwired, but have a battery back up.

not Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
389 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chirp, Chirp at the Rio....What would you do?

I stand corrected.

1060 W Addison...
Level Contributor
10,156 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chirp, Chirp at the Rio....What would you do?

If you could sleep just by turning on the radio, I wouldn't have switched rooms.

California
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
43,075 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chirp, Chirp at the Rio....What would you do?

You will notice that on your phone there is no button for maintenance. Hotels don't want guests speaking to maintenance, so you have to go through the front desk. That's what you should have done right away.

BTW: We had this happen at Orleans. Maintenance came right away but itr took him 2 trips. We were on the 21st floor which has very high celings. But he didn't bring a ladder the 1st time. He didn't know how high the ceilings were in his own hotel? lol

Kenosha, WI
Level Contributor
12,014 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chirp, Chirp at the Rio....What would you do?

First of all, I would not have stayed on the 13th floor. LOL!!!

Definitely contact the front desk with ANY problems in your room as soon as possible. At least give them the chance to make things right.

Our smoke detectors are hardwired in our house, but there is a batterey back-up in each one. When it is time to change the battery, they start that chirping.

Midwest
Level Contributor
2,609 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chirp, Chirp at the Rio....What would you do?

The RIO has a horrible housekeeping dept

I cant believe the condition of the rooms. At my last stay I had

1) Burned out bulbs

2) Frayed wires

3) Broken radio/alarm clock

4) Edges of the room havent been cleaned in weeks or months

10. Re: Chirp, Chirp at the Rio....What would you do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2014, 05:18