We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip Vegas to Grand Canyon Skywalk worth it? Self drive?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
379 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip Vegas to Grand Canyon Skywalk worth it? Self drive?

Deciding whether to do it on one of those bus tours from the hotel for the day or renting a car (suv) and doing it on our own any tips????

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
4,479 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip Vegas to Grand Canyon Skywalk worth it? Self drive?

Avoid the Skywalk. It's a tourist trap.

Go to the South Rim and experience the National Park.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3,199 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip Vegas to Grand Canyon Skywalk worth it? Self drive?

Well that didn't really help . How is driving 10 hours there and back better than a " tourist trap " where thousands are happy ? ?

If you have to see it from Vegas I'd try the helicopter trip . Theres always gonna be your knockers on both sides for and against so do your research and do what YOU think is best for you .

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,380 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip Vegas to Grand Canyon Skywalk worth it? Self drive?

Driving 10 hours or taking a day tour by plane is better than a tourist trap that is the West Rim.

Check out top questions on right of this page and if you want to see the REAL Grand Canyon do the South Rim.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g45963-i10-k437759…

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
52,334 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip Vegas to Grand Canyon Skywalk worth it? Self drive?

Avoid the tourist trap and see the real thing.You're coming a couple thousand miles, too far to settle for something made up a few years back to capitalize on the Grand Canyon name. Your home town newspaper had a good review of the "West Rim" a couple years back.

"To be frank, even the stunning view off the Hualapai ledge does not hold up to a comparison with the south or north rims, which are controlled by the National Park Service. The stone eagle, like the Skywalk itself, does not actually hover over the Grand Canyon but over a subsidiary tributary canyon. The distance straight down is also less than the 4,000 feet to the Colorado River mentioned in promotional material. And the vista itself, however grand, is less shockingly immense and overwhelming than those in the more famous areas of the park. Even the colors are less variegated."

nytimes.com/2007/…

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,939 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip Vegas to Grand Canyon Skywalk worth it? Self drive?

ginnyc

I'd book a bus tour, perhaps Sweet Tours and go to the Grand Canyon South Rim instead. After doing thorough research earlier this year I was pleased I did that instead of going to the West Rim.

Regards

Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
8,855 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip Vegas to Grand Canyon Skywalk worth it? Self drive?

Technically you can't drive yourself to the West Rim in a rental vehicle. All major company rental agreements state that you can't drive the vehicles on unpaved roads and part of the road to the West Rim is unpaved.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,775 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip Vegas to Grand Canyon Skywalk worth it? Self drive?

The skywalk is okay, much closer than south rim. Boring drive except for a few interesting stops. (The dam, willow beach).

Drive yourself to have freedom to stop wherever.

Sturgeon Bay...
Level Contributor
5,723 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip Vegas to Grand Canyon Skywalk worth it? Self drive?

When I am on vacation I like to let others do the driving,so I would take a bus tour or helicopter tour. The helicopter tour to the west rim has gotten positive comments here so it may boil down to how much time you have . I actually enjoyed the skywalk and to be honest,when I look down to the river I cant tell if its 4000ft or 6000ft so it was still quite impressive. I know that the South rim is more majestic but I didnt want to take that much time to see it. If you can afford the helicopter tour I would certainly consider it. It will take you down to the canyon floor and has other options as well. good luck

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
379 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trip Vegas to Grand Canyon Skywalk worth it? Self drive?

THANK YOU so much EVERYONE! I understand EACH of your opinions and all are valid.....

I can add a little more to our question in that we have DONE THE SOUTH RIM many many times not only visit but stayed many times at el Tovar and kachina lodges, done the mule ride down to phantom ranch AND even done the trip further north to the river rafting down the Colorado....been there done that all and it is yes as you say FABULOUS....

so THIS TRIP is just a little something to do on a free day in Vegas to see SKYWALK since it is the only thing we have not done over there.....SOOO looked with your advice and saw that some of the bus tour companies also do a drive yourself package here is the link what do you think they say that the last 13 miles is rough so they give you a car suitable OR maybe I am reading wrong you actually 'join' the shuttle that the bus tour travelers take when you get there so they do the driving from some point plus I think you get the entrance tickets for this and that...don't want to do anything but hang around skywalk and eat nice meal and take pix and go back to my slot machines!!! hope that explains needs!

here is one of the typical deals and oh I heard you have to do the photos they take of you and purchase them later like when getting pix taken at a show in vegas that is fine we will do it!

viator.com/Las-Vegas-tourism/…

THANKS EVERYONE!

and ps...too afraid of helicopters just crazy thing to add so that is out lol

Edited: 28 September 2013, 19:12
Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
8,855 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day trip Vegas to Grand Canyon Skywalk worth it? Self drive?

If you've been to the Grand Canyon, why not consider a different day trip. Perhaps Death Valley, Zion, Valley of Fire, Red Rock or a drive through Oatman, Kingman, Laughlin, etc. would be more interesting.