We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chip & Pin?

UK
Level Contributor
113 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Chip & Pin?

Do they have chip and pin machines in Vegas or do most restaurants ask you to sign the receipt?

Mentioned in this post
Special Offer
Las Vegas to Grand Canyon Helicopter...
6,625 Reviews
from US$399.99*
US$520.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam from Las...
5,110 Reviews
from US$142.99*
US$224.90
Special Offer
Grand Canyon Skywalk Skip-the-Line...
403 Reviews
from US$529.99*
US$541.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim Helicopter and...
915 Reviews
from US$598.99*
US$650.00
South Carolina
Level Contributor
3,107 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chip & Pin?

I have never been to a restaurant in Las Vegas where I haven't signed a receipt when using a credit card.

Mentioned in this post
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
5,732 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chip & Pin?

I haven't seen any chip and pin in the US that I can recall. I have also often been asked for photo id with a credit card purchase in LV.

Cedar Rapids, Iowa...
Level Contributor
1,761 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chip & Pin?

I would venture over 98% of the restaurants/bars in LV have the traditional CC swipe machines where you then sign your receipt when it prints. It works this way, because then you have the ability to put in a "tip" for the server/bartender on the receipt that will be charged to your card.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
5,732 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chip & Pin?

You can still put the tip on a chip and pin card, There is no difference in that respect. I think the US has just been slow at adopting the technology.

yorkshire
Level Contributor
4,645 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chip & Pin?

Hi we've always had to sign in Vegas same in Florida. Don't seem so safe to me - prefer the chip and pin personally.

Some places may ask for ID especially for larger purchases.

Mentioned in this post
Niagara Falls...
Level Contributor
157 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chip & Pin?

Agree with above posters - much safer to use the chip and pin. Adding the tip is simple. Was surprised in Vegas and CA that this technology is not common.

Mentioned in this post
Essex In The UK
Level Contributor
149 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chip & Pin?

So somebody disappears with your credit card? Think I'm gonna have to get extra cash if that's the case.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
92 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chip & Pin?

You may get to use PIN on debit card in some places like Walmart but not on credit card and probably not a UK debit card. The whole keep sight of your card thing isn't that big in the US leaving them behind bar to open a tab for example. Personally I just go with it if your card gets cloned your bank should protect you.

Wheat Ridge...
Level Contributor
6,479 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chip & Pin?

That technology has just not made it into the US. At this point, I doubt it will.

And, yes, at restaurants they almost always take your card to a register somewhere out of sight. Those small machines they use at the table in Europe do exist, but I've never seen them used in restaurants. In hundreds of uses of a credit card at restaurants, I've not had any problem. My wife did have a problem once that we suspect was caused by a restaurant, but the bank resolved it.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
5,732 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Chip & Pin?

That's interesting about the hand held terminals. They're very common in Canada as well. I didn't notice. We went mostly room charge or cash.

Edited: 29 September 2013, 18:16