We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can we have a nice honeymoon on a budget?

Missouri
Level Contributor
55 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Can we have a nice honeymoon on a budget?

My SO and I have decided to have a small, intimate wedding in Las Vegas (probably Chapel of the Flowers). We were planning on staying in Las Vegas for 2-3 days then doing some kind of round trip honeymoon around the SW. But, after thinking about it, we decided that maybe it would be best to just stay in Las Vegas for more like 4-5 days and have a shorter honeymoon there. I thought this would be our best bet for our budget, but now looking at prices I'm kind of worried.

About us:

-Early 20's

-Probably Sept 2014

-Around $100 a night for hotel?

-Will we be able to get a decent dinner for less than $100?

I don't think we will be able to stay at a 5 star hotel in our budget, but I'm not sure? The prices are kind of confusing to me. We usually use Priceline for our vacations, but I'm not sure I'd want to do that with our honeymoon? How can we find cheaper prices without taking a risk with hotel (neither of us, nor our family, has been to LV, so we don't really know what to expect).

Also, what's the weather like at the beginning, middle, and end of Sept? (We haven't picked a date yet.)

Thank you!

Special Offer
Grand Canyon Helicopter Tour with...
6,547 reviews
from US$399.99*
US$520.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim and Hoover Dam...
4,999 reviews
from US$142.99*
US$224.90
Special Offer
Grand Canyon Skywalk Skip-the-Line...
385 reviews
from US$499.99*
US$541.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim Luxury...
347 reviews
from US$299.99*
US$399.00
Green Bay, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,199 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can we have a nice honeymoon on a budget?

Try a site like smartervegas.com for hotel and show discounts.

While in town, you can use the tickets for tonight booths to get discounted shows and meals.

Vegas is VERY doable on a budget. There will be people there that have a budget of $20 per day for food and then there are those that will spend over $500 on a meal. That is the beauty of Vegas. It accommodates everyone, and excludes no one.

Wheat Ridge...
Level Contributor
6,190 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can we have a nice honeymoon on a budget?

Its far, far too early to get any realistic hotel prices for Sept 2014.

I wouldn't use priceline to book Vegas (or anywhere, but that's a different story.) Look at lasvegasadvisor.com and smartervegas.com for discount codes. You might find good codes for next Sept in the spring.

$100 a night won't get you a five start. But during the week it should get you a nice mid-range hotel on the strip. Candidates are Tropicana, NYNY, Monte Carlo, Paris, Ballys, or TI. Prices vary A LOT. Friday and Saturday are typically 2X or 3X week nights. A big convention or event can drive up prices. If you're flexible, you can pick cheaper nights. You definitely want to stay on the strip. Even if you have to go down a notch (Harrahs, Flamingo, Excalibur, Luxor), you'll still be fine.

Very hot at the beginning of Sept, cooling off during the month.

$100 for the two of you with drinks tax and top will get you a nice meal. Nothing too fancy, but a nice meal nevertheless. Every strip hotel has half a dozen to a dozen or more choices. They're all fairly close together. So from any location on the strip you probably have 30-50 restaurant choices within a 10 minute walk. A third of those will hit your budget. Go to $150 and you'll hit another third. If you skip alcoholic drinks your budget will go further.

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,199 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can we have a nice honeymoon on a budget?

Hotels are going to be much more expensive on the weekends. (fri/sat night) If you can work your honeymoon so that you are staying Sunday - Thursday, your hotel money will go much farther.

Missouri
Level Contributor
55 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can we have a nice honeymoon on a budget?

Thanks for the advice. We are college aged and kind of poor, lol, so I'm sure even a 3 star hotel would blow our minds away, not to mention the 5 star hotels! They would probably be insane. I just want it to be safe and, you know, decently nice. I mean, it's our honeymoon, so I don't want to stay at a Super 8. Nice to us is like a Double Tree...so yeah, it doesn't take much to impress us. As far as food goes, I have never been a person to spend $80 on a steak or something like that. I'd be happy trying the local dive burger joint or something, but again, it's our honeymoon, so I want something a little nicer.

I'm just a little worried because some reviews are like "There are so many hotels much nicer than THIS one", etc. But, those might be reviews from people who have been to Vegas 10 times and have much higher expectations...not us. Like I said above, just some place decently nice. It would probably make us very happy and blow our minds away anyway.

Cedar Rapids, Iowa...
Level Contributor
1,761 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can we have a nice honeymoon on a budget?

Well first, you're way to early to get any kind of discounts or good rates on hotel rooms for Sept 2014. You're more likely to start seeing some discounts available through sites like smartervegas.com in the spring. Here, you use a promo code that books directly with the hotel, so you know what you're getting ahead of time. With that said, know that the same room on a Tues night is probably 2-5 times more expensive on a weekend night, so if any part of your trip can be done during the week, you'll save some money on hotels that way. If it works, the weekdays and weekend after Labor Day are historically pretty cheap, but there's always a chance a fight or concert could be booked that would raise prices. An average of $100 per night is probably a little light for nicer places, but that would get you into some of the lower end places without much issue, but again, it depends on what days of the week you'll be there.

You can definitely have a fun honeymoon or vacation on a budget in LV. There are restaurant and bar options for everyone at every level of pricing. There are also countless happy hours where there are some excellent food and drink specials. http://www.lvhhtime.com/las-vegas-strip.html

September weather doesn't change all that much throughout the month. Obviously, the end of Sept is likely to be slightly cooler, but you never know. You can see all of this year's temps here: accuweather.com/en/…

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
14,325 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can we have a nice honeymoon on a budget?

Sure.

You're a bit early to see the best prices for next Sept, but you can start looking.

I like earlier Sept, as I prefer it hotter but anytime in Sept would still be nice.

RE: spending, your hotel dollar will go a lot farther if you can time your stay to be Sun-Thurs nights, as Fri/Sat nights are a lot more expensive.

Check for hotel promos on sites like smartervegas.com and travelzoo.com but as I said, the best deals for next Sept won't start appearing until May or June next year.

One of the great things about Las Vegas is that it can accomodate a wide variety of budgets.

EDIT: I really need to learn to type faster... ;-)

Edited: 03 October 2013, 15:49
Cedar Rapids, Iowa...
Level Contributor
1,761 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can we have a nice honeymoon on a budget?

To your review comment - Unless you're staying at the true 5 star hotels, there are always hotels that offer nicer options. That's the great thing about LV, though. Options for every price level. Do yourself a favor and stay away from the Stratosphere, Circus Circus, The Quad, and Excalibur. Those are generally considered the lowest tiered properties, some of which have terrible locations.

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,199 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can we have a nice honeymoon on a budget?

Like others have said, you should wait until spring (probably about May) to look for a room. That is when the best discounts will be available. In the meantime, do some research on where you would like to stay, what show(s) you would like to see and places you would like to eat. There are resources out there that describe all the LV properties and the options that are in each of them. I like this site as it lists everything and there is a page that shows average prices, quality, value, etc.

cheapovegas.com/cheapo-vegas-las-vegas-strip…

Simply click on any of the properties and read about all the options provided at each of them.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,105 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can we have a nice honeymoon on a budget?

This might give you some ideas, too...... vegas.com/attractions/…

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,199 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can we have a nice honeymoon on a budget?

Looks like the site I gave you does not stay very up-to-date. There have been some changes since the site was last updated, but it should give you an idea anyway.