We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Double the Price then Offer 50% Off?

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
324 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Double the Price then Offer 50% Off?

We ate at Envy and BIscayne with a 50% off coupon. With the coupon the restaurants were reasonably priced, though still not cheap. We walked into other restaurants that were priced as high as this and just walked out. These prices are crazy high. Do a lot of restaurants in Las Vegas double their prices and then offer 50% off coupons?

Special Offer
Grand Canyon Helicopter Tour with...
6,572 reviews
from US$399.99*
US$520.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim and Hoover Dam...
5,039 reviews
from US$142.99*
US$224.90
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim Helicopter Tour...
571 reviews
from US$369.99*
US$479.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon Skywalk Skip-the-Line...
388 reviews
from US$499.99*
US$541.00
Kenosha, WI
Level Contributor
12,163 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Double the Price then Offer 50% Off?

This reminds me of everytime I see a 50% deal.....This is what goes through my head (and sometimes out of my mouth):

(In the cheesiest Annoucer voice possible) "We've doubled our prices to save you half!!!!"

(Yes, I say this out load quite often, and yes, my wife rolls her eyes everytime I do. LOL!)

Edited: 18 October 2013, 18:08
not Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
389 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Double the Price then Offer 50% Off?

When I see those offers I think about how much the restaurant (or any other business) is making for all of those not taking advantage of the 50% off price.

They will be making money from your patronage. It will just be MORE money if you don't have a coupon.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
3,824 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Double the Price then Offer 50% Off?

"Double the price" of what? Are you talkiing about a chain that charges less at other outlets, or do you see restaurant prices fluctuate by 100% on a daily basis?

Some places are expensive. Hotel restaurants are more expensive at nearly every place I've been. But I'll pay twice or 3x as much for a steak at a place that serves prime beef than I will some place that serves the same cut but choice instead. Or I'll pay more for bolognese pasta from a cerain chef who makes my favorite than I would at Dennys. I'll pay 3x as much for a Burger Bar burger than a McDonalds burger. I know it and I don't regret it. To each his own in that regard.

(Nevertheless, I did work in a jewelry store years ago that did just what you describe--mark up the gold chains by double and then have a 50% off "sale." It worked too.)

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
324 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Double the Price then Offer 50% Off?

Tessie, that's part of the problem in Las Vegas. If a steak is worth $45 I might be willing to pay that for it. Every time I walked into a restaurant in Las Vegas and the prices were high my first thoughts were that there's a 50% off coupon out there somewhere and this restaurant isn't really worth what they're charging. I left a lot of restaurants because of that. And when I buy a coupon from a third party the third party has a profit that wouldn't need to be there if the restaurant just charged a normal price. There was a lot of this double the price and offer 50% off going on in Las Vegas ... for shows, restaurants and more. Personally, I found it very frustrating and it took a lot away from the enjoyment of my trip. It felt like there was a gimmick, catch or scam behind everything in Las Vegas; that's not true, but it just felt that way.

Edited: 18 October 2013, 22:15
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
3,824 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Double the Price then Offer 50% Off?

I think you have to consider a few things though. First, rents aren't cheap on the strip or in a hotel in Las Vegas. It's the same reason you can get a room at Red Rock Resort that looks an awful lot like the room at the Wynn for a fraction of the price.

You're also paying for ambiance, service, and the expertise of the staff and kitchen as well as the relative quality and availability of ingredients. If I pay a lot I expect a lot. I'm not big on coupons. But I really don't mind if someone makes a profit on me. It's what theyr'e supposed to do. I make a profit in my business too. My prices are higher than some who do what I do, and lower than others. If price is the only criteria, the potential client will go elsewhere, but I've figured out what I need to charge to make the books balance, with an eye toward what I think I'm worth relative to the competition, and what the going rates are in my community. It's a voluntary transaction between vendor and customer. If I don't want to pay $50 for a steak, I won't. I'll have one for less than half the price at Outback, or the hotel cafe.

While we can all laugh about the "markup" to "mark down" I'm not so sure that's true when it comes to these restaurants. There is a lot of competition, and its not the best price that necessarily wins that competition. It's location, word of mouth, or just plain trendiness, very often. Coupons are essentially for businesses that want to lure new customers to try something they otherwise wouldn't. Unless you see prices go down the day after the coupon expires, I'm not sure I'd assume that the coupon is just a cover for a markup. It's a marketing ploy like any other advertising or promotion.

6. Re: Double the Price then Offer 50% Off?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 20 October 2013, 02:33
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
324 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Double the Price then Offer 50% Off?

Tessie, you misread my post. I don't have a problem with profit. Why would I? If they're needlessly lengthening the supply chain, though, that raises the costs to me; and that I don't like. There were so many of these things going on in Las Vegas compared to every other destination that I've been to that I believe there are many places that double their price, hope the ones born every minute buy at regular price and the ones with a clue still buy from them but using the coupon. As for conspiracy, I'm not claiming any type of conspiracy here. I'm also not saying that it doesn't necessarily work for these places. But my girlfriend and I were really turned off by this in Las Vegas.

California
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
43,759 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Double the Price then Offer 50% Off?

"Every time I walked into a restaurant in Las Vegas and the prices were high my first thoughts were that there's a 50% off coupon out there somewhere and this restaurant isn't really worth what they're charging. I left a lot of restaurants because of that."

So you don't actually know if these restaurants are better or overpriced, because you don't dine there based on the price. Did it ever occur to you that some of these expensive restaurants are considered good values by many who enjoy them?

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,310 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Double the Price then Offer 50% Off?

Jewelry stores have been doing this since the day they found a diamond in the ground.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
324 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Double the Price then Offer 50% Off?

"Did it ever occur to you that some of these expensive restaurants are considered good values by many who enjoy them?"

Of course it did. And I never said otherwise.